Life as a GP practice manager

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
maz

Re: Life as a GP practice manager

Post by maz » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:19 am

2 good result there Paul, a helpful receptionist, and knowing in that your head is ok.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:39 pm

I'm glad you got resolution Paul. There is no need for Receptionists to be rude or unhelpful to genuine patients.

So we are due to get our first delivery of the Pfizer COVID vaccination on 14th December which means next week will be manic! We have a plan in place but it has not been tested - I hate not being able to test things prior to implementation! It will require some pretty intense work from everybody at the practice to get it all mobilised, calmly ( :shock: ) organised by me! We are sharing the load across 3 local practices but it is still going to be intense.

It also means we have to mobilise nearly 1,000 80 plus year old patients, who are the first cohort, in a week. I genuinely suspect that the biggest problem we will face is getting many of them out of the house to get the vaccine. There are a huge number of that age group who have barely left the house since March for fear of catching the virus. We cannot do home visits because a) we simply haven't got the staff to cope with that; and b) the Pfizer vaccine is not transportable.

I honestly believe this will be the hardest part. A lot of this group have sadly lost confidence in going out but they must have the vaccine in order for things to change.

I suspect I will lose next week in terms of any other work as I will be so focussed on the vaccine delivery. Still it will be the very best excuse for any deadlines I may miss :lol: :lol: .

Wish me luck! :lol: :lol:

maz

Post by maz » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:50 am

I certainly do wish you all the best in the roll out of the vaccine. I have every confidence that you will organise it all really well. I can see the problems with trying to vaccinate all the over 80's who are still not going out. I can also understand why they are fearful too, and many will need to use a taxi to get to the surgery, or even public transport, if they don't have relatives or friends to help, and some might not even want to do that. Both options will be quite scary options to some at the moment. I think some will be asking for your staff to visit them at home and will need some real motivating and help. We aren't 80 for a few more years yet but we, and especially John, are still very wary of going where others are. Also some of these elderly patients might be fearful of actually going to the surgery too and they might not realise all the great work that has been done there to keep them safe.

Our practice has just received more flu vaccine to be able to vaccinate the over 50's who can now receive it. So they have that to fit in first this week before beginning the Covid ones. I guess at least their large number of isolating staff are now back. Let's hope they stay back for a while, and the same for all GP surgeries so they can get this important job done as quickly as possible.

Keep smiling Jane and thank you xx
Marilyn

Anne Dawson

Post by Anne Dawson » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:34 pm

All the best Jane.
Hope everything goes well next week!

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:20 pm

Good luck Jane hope its not too stressful .

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks guys! It was crazy :roll: :lol: :lol: .

So the story so far: We have to administer 975 vaccines in 3 days between 3 GP practices.

We had an emergency planning meeting on Monday between the 3 practices involved for the vaccine delivery and sorted out most issues. A good meeting. All staff had a list of patients to ring to book an appointment and we also contacted the care homes to book in their staff as we had been advised by NHS England to do.

Having filled all the appointments on Wednesday NHS England said we couldn't vaccinate the care home staff. So we rang them and apologised.

On Thursday NHS England said we could vaccinate the care home staff. So we rang them again and apologised and booked them back in.

On Friday NHS England said no we couldn't vaccinate the care home staff. So we rang them and apologised yet again. :roll: :roll: :roll:

We have to use an NHS software solution which allows us to use bar code readers to scan the bar codes on the vaccines. I attended a Zoom meeting on Friday that advised that there was a shortage of bar code readers and some of the vaccines didn't have bar codes on them anyway :shock: :shock: . To add to the chaos, we have never used the software before and can't access it until Monday at 11 am - we are delivering the vaccine from Tuesday morning :shock: :shock: .

And on Thursday after all the careful planning we were advised that patients now have to wait on the premises for 15 minutes after they are vaccinated due to 2 people having an anaphylactic reaction to the vaccine. Both people carried an Epipen (so were obviously severely allergic to something) and both recovered fully afterwards. A total overreaction which puts even more pressure on the delivery programme.

What is absolutely fantastic is that despite all the chaos - predominantly created by NHS England - the 3 practices are determined to make this work and will do so.

I have organised a plan B which we are intending to use because having worked with NHS IT solutions for many years I have absolutely NO faith that plan A will work. If plan A works then great. But I will donate my next wage to a charity if it does :lol: :lol:.

But do you know what? We are making history here! My practice is one of the first deliverers of the COVID vaccine in the world.

I am so proud of us! :D :D

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:12 am

Well done being a first and doing Panto " yes you ....oh no you carn't ...Oh yes you can "

maz

Post by maz » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:54 am

:lol: Paul!!!

Yes, well done Jane, it sounds like you have done a fantastic job. This and the other vaccines are so important if we are to get through this pandemic. I have no idea how things are going with our practice and the others in the building. This is what is on their website home page 'Covid-19 Vaccination is not yet bookable: We will update the website when we have information.' It doesn't look like they are near ready, which doesn't surprise me to be honest seeing the way they have dealt with some things. Though our area though hasn't been as hard hit as yours, does that make any difference to the first deliveries? I think our slot could be mid to late January, but we wait and see being as they have no information to pass on yet. We certainly aren't going anywhere in the meantime, apart from the pharmacy anyway. I did have to go to the hospital for a dental/medical procedure last Wednesday, so I always become a little concerned for the 14 days after being somewhere (maybe 10 with new guidelines) in case I caught Covid. My track and trace scanner said I hadn't been near anyone, if that means anything :wink: .
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:30 pm

paul...m wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:12 am
Well done being a first and doing Panto " yes you ....oh no you carn't ...Oh yes you can "
Love it Paul! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marilyn there are many hoops to jump through for practices to be able to deliver the vaccine this time and it may be that your practice haven't applied as yet because they need more time to organise themselves. Or they may have applied and been rejected by NHS England for a variety of reasons. None of the reasons was a low local COVID rate. NHS England were only offering the vaccine to 3 practice groups in a CCG area this time. Only 100 practice groups across the country had the green light to offer the vaccine so it was VERY limited.

Please rest assured you WILL be offered the vaccine at the appropriate time for your age group.

In the meantime our vaccine delivery clinic was fantastic! Day one was organised chaos but by day two we were in a state of calm! By the end of day 3 we had vaccinated 975 patients from a standing start one week earlier :D .

I think that if you have never worked in the NHS you could ever understand the amazing staff who just get on with things despite apparently impossible challenges. The patients (bearing in mind they were 80 years old plus) were fantastic and so grateful. We had a mother and daughter turn up for the vaccine - mum was 101 and daughter was 80!

The software crashed so the staff went back to paper. We organised an hourly coffee run to keep the staff hydrated. One of the marshals organising the patients had the ones waiting singing Christmas carols :lol: :lol: . We were delivering vaccines in cars and one of the GPs lost 2 vaccines because the bowl she was using was caught by the wind and threw the vaccines in the air.

And the best bit for me was that EVERY member of staff who had been involved in the clinic had had a fantastic time.

Gotta love the NHS and the fantastic staff. I am so proud of us this week :D :D .

maz

Post by maz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:04 pm

I was just coming on to ask how things had gone, not expecting you to be here before tomorrow, even if you managed that! It sounds like you will need a weekend of rest. Anyway it sounds a huge success Jane, and I am sure you were very much the main one to praise. Of course it was a team effort, but we know a successful team has to have a great leader. Well done.

John and i are both in Group 4 and as our practice hasn't begun vaccinating yet I guess it will be the end Jan to March before they get to us, depending on a lot of things. They are still doing the over 50's flu vaccines so I don't think they will be starting the Covid ones till after Christmas and we have an awful lot of over 80's here :lol: This was a message on their Facebook page on 14th Dec.

"North Yorkshire CCG has confirmed a number of local practices are starting to invite and book eligible patients in for the first dose of their COVID vaccine prior to its arrival next week; those invited will be patients over the age of 80, in line with the JCVI recommendation. The NHS will let you know when it's your turn to have the vaccine. It's important not to contact the NHS for a vaccination before then." .

So it doesn't sound like they are in this first 'number of local practices'. We aren't biting at the bullet to get out and about so are ok. Does it sound like the NHS are doing the invites and not the individual practices?

I hope your next and subsequent weeks vaccinating go as well.
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:29 am

Well done Jane and her practice :D

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks guys! I have to say that it WAS a team effort though.

The local practices are inviting their own patients because CCG staff are not allowed access to patient information. The practices know their own patients best as well. It sounds like there are practices in your area that are delivering the vaccine, just not yours as yet Marilyn. We were the first in our area but another group of practices are delivering next week and the week after. So it's a rolling programme.

We are also hoping for the Oxford vaccine to be approved because it is much easier to deal with than the Pfizer one.

This is a slow start but the main delivery will be taken from the GP practices at some point and given to mass local vaccination sites. GP practices simply haven't got the capacity to continue to deliver the vaccine to every patient. The over 80s are obviously a smaller group. Once we get to the under 50s there simply will not be enough hours in the day for practices to deliver it and continue with the day job.

The programme will gather pace in the new year. It has to.

And as for my day off - I didn't think I would be able to take it, but the COVID clinic was working so well by Thursday I indulged myself! And to be honest I was ready for a break! What was lovely was that I was fully supported by my lovely GPs who are very aware of how hard I've worked in the last two weeks.

I'm a lucky lady! :D :D

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:34 pm

Yes but are you working Christmas day only way Uncle Boris will let you leave home . Wasn't there a rumour that vacinations will be taking place Christmas day.

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:32 am

Not working Christmas Day- there was absolutely no appetite for that at the practice unsurprisingly. And to be fair - where would we get the patients from? Nobody would want to come for a vaccine and there is no pubic transport

My staff are generally really good at volunteering but nobody wanted to work outside of normal hours even for the vaccine. We are all fed up with it!

The receptionists are still getting angry patients on the phone complaining about wearing masks and how long it takes to get through on the phone. I've even changed the message on the phone to ask patients not to take their frustrations out on the staff.

And I had one patient's daughter absolutely kicking off with me on Friday because we had invited her mum for a COVID jab but she had dementia and she'd forgotten about it. Mum hasn't got dementia by the way and the Receptionist had been on the phone to mum for 8 minutes booking the appointment and even asked the patient to read back what she'd written down to ensure she had the right information. Apparently if her mum dies of 'the COVID' it will be my fault :lol: :lol: . Anyway she's going to her MP.

I was so tempted to say to her "you are mistaking me for someone who gives a s***" but I remained professional :lol: :lol: .

She advised me that the practice was rubbish. So I said she had the right to register elsewhere if she was dissatisfied to which she replied "Why should I?" :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

And of course we now have the extra virulent strain to deal with. Even my heart sank with that news and I'm pretty upbeat. :roll: :roll:

maz

Post by maz » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:08 am

Some folk blame everyone and everything for this present situation and their problems with it, but they never ever blame the virus.
Marilyn