Alan's blog........

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Jane Dalgleish

Alan's blog........

Post by Jane Dalgleish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:04 pm

Alan had a bit of a panic this morning when he rang the hospital as instructed and was told there were no beds until after the ward round. Jane calmed him down and said that the ward round would result in people being kicked out. If not it was agreed to go to the hospital, find a suitable bed, with a patient in, and get hold of the edge of the sheet and tip them out. Alan would have to dive in quickly before the patient could recover. Possession being 9/10s of the law it was felt this would be a good move. However, it proved to be unnecessary.

Jane went to have a bath whilst waiting for the hossie to phone back. Alan had asked her to leave the water in, but Jane didn't hear. Hence used one of her Christmas sparkly bath bombs. Jane thought Alan looked very pretty after his bath, although he wasn't impressed. There's no pleasing some people.

Whilst waiting for the desperately important phone call from the hossie, Jane's mum rang to say that Barry next door had offered to clear her drive :roll: :roll: Jane had to ring her son and ask to borrow his pride and joy - the car. He told her not to crash it. Just as well he warned her, or she would have done. :roll: :roll:

Jane remembered that the Christmas tree was still up so asked Alan if he had a spare 10 minutes could he take the tree down and put it in the box. "Where is it?" he asked "Right in front of you!" answered Jane. "Not the tree - the box!" :roll: :roll: Emotions evidently a little fraught.

Travel up the A1 was amazingly quiet and uneventful apart from an aluminium ladder which was across the fast lane just near the Angel of The North. The car in front of Jane and Alan ran over it. Jane showed superb driving skills and managed to avoid the ladder - which was just as well as number 1 son would have been well p***** off. Alan phoned the police to report the ladder.

The pair managed to catch the right lift this time at the hossie - last time they picked one that was out of service and ended up in the basement and had to be rescued by an engineer :oops: :oops:

Alan has now been abandoned to his fate. Desperate pleas for example "Just leave me here to be butchered" were ignored successfully by Jane who escaped relatively quickly with excuses around the weather, but really to be in time to watch Bargain Hunt in peace.

Update tomorrow!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:09 pm

Well done Jane, your a star.

:D

Jane Dalgleish

Post by Jane Dalgleish » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:18 pm

:oops: :oops: Well thankyou :oops: :oops:

Just out of interest was that for missing the ladder or just in general???

Jane (sadly and obviously fishing for compliments)

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Hooked..........everything.

:wink:

gemini

Post by gemini » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Thanks Jane and well done for the near miss of the ladder..Not really sure what you would need a ladder inbedded in your car for anyway..

Also a big well done for the graceful exit from the hospital after catching the right lift..

have a good night and all the best for both of you tomorrow..

leather_ferret

Post by leather_ferret » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi Jane,

A fine read - I may commission the book :lol:

Well done that lass.... fair play to you !

All the very best for tomorrow .... got everything crossed except me nuts :lol:

Love and best wishes to you both

Dave

PS next time you see a ladder, collect it up for me please - such waste, it'll be sitting in some copper's garage by now :lol:

PPS make sure that mechanic checks all the core plugs before he starts stripping cylinder head. These are round plugs about the size of an old penny that are designed to push out and relieve the pressure, when wated turns to ice in the block. Thes are very cheap, and easy to put in (hammer) but can be tucked away in some awkward places.

Mind you, if you boiled it dry when it overheated, the mechanic is probably on the right track.

rayhunt

Post by rayhunt » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:44 pm

As long as the car is repaired by the time Alan comes out all should be OK. ("Comes out - sounds like one of HM Prisons.)

My V25 automatically adjusts timing etc to the different rating of the petrol you put in it so it doesn't matter whether I use a high or low octane petrol. I had the car serviced just before Xmas and in 3 years it has never had any water added to the radiator nor has it needed flushing out. I do have to take it back so they can locate the platignum plugs and check them out. But then we have have perfect weather in NZ so the radiators don't freeze - well not in Taranaki anyway!

Please give my best regards to Allan.

Ray

Jane Dalgleish

Post by Jane Dalgleish » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Alan went down at 9am this morning and I phoned at 3.30 - he was still in theatre.

No I didn't panic (much) - been at work all day which took my mind off it (a bit). Phoned again at 5 pm. He's out and in recovery and I'm told he's fine!!!! Having a mini-nervous breakdown here.

Intend to go and see him tomorrow - he's in HDU (they had said he was going into ITU but when I queried it they said it's the same unit :?: )

We have had some luck because the A1 (the bit that we needed to use) was completely blocked today due to a jackknifed lorry, so good job it was yesterday we took him. Apart from that my mechanic has tried several things with the car - is going to try the fan to check some funny thing at the back isn't frozen (apparently the radiator was frozen at the bottom) but if it isn't the fan - it's the Doobri (cylinder head whatever) and it's going to be around £500.

So down the docks for me tonight to get some dosh. Normally I send Alan but at the moment perhaps he isn't fit - mind that's a bit selfish I think. He could make an effort.

My son is delighted at the timing of Alan's op because if he'd gone in a day earlier, my son's new TV wouldn't have been delivered because there was nobody in the house :roll: :roll: Every cloud..................

Only thing I need to know right now is why the op took longer than anticipated - that's my main worry. However, if I go tomorrow, I may well find out.

Will continue the blog when I find my sense of humour - I've looked down the back of the sofa but I've obviously left it somewhere else.

Hugs

Jane

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Any operation on the pancreas is very complex, and until they're in there, they can't be absolutely sure of what needs doing.

Good that he is doing fine.

I was in theatre for 9 1/4hrs, so I'm told.

Stu

:)

Jane Dalgleish

Post by Jane Dalgleish » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks Stuart, that makes me feel better. Do the surgeons go off for a tea break I wonder?

Well it's no good asking you, you won't remember!!!

I may email Mr Charnley and thank him for cutting my husband up, but I would guess after that marathon he's asleep at his desk. You know at times like this you are glad these consultants earn the money that they do, because they are bloody worth it!

Sorry I think hysteria is kicking in!

Jane Dalgleish

More blog........

Post by Jane Dalgleish » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Jane went to bed very early last night having had a poor night's sleep the previous night. Jane and Alan were sitting drinking cups of tea at 5 am. Jane thinks that as Alan and other pancreatitis sufferers don't sleep well she may be suffering from a brand new illness called Pancreatitis by Proxy. She intends to hijack a medical conference and present a paper on this.

Sadly as Jane went to bed early she missed a call from Alan at 10.30. Jane hopes that Alan didn't need support at this time as he certainly didn't get any.

Jane then was awake at 6.30am this morning but took a considered decision not to ring Alan on his bedside phone in case a) he was asleep b) it disturbed his roomies. However, Alan, whose consideration didn't extend this far to Jane, rang Jane at 6.50.

Jane, who was not worried in the slightest, then rang Alan (only for his benefit) at 8 am and then (again only to give Alan support) at 9am. Alan had agreed that he looked like a t*** again in his hossie gown and sexy socks.

Jane rang again at 9.30 and Alan's bedside phone wasn't answered - concerned only that he had absconded wearing his backless gown and socks and that the police may bring the man looking like a t*** to their home and Jane would have to admit that he was hers, rang the ward to ensure that Alan was still on the premises. A very nice nurse said that Alan had been taken down for surgery at 9 am.

Jane then thought that everything was wonderful and planned the rest of her day, calmly and without any worry. She rang as agreed at 3.30 and was told Alan was still in surgery. Jane was proud that her husband was getting back some of the contributions to the Health Service that he had made over the years, and went outside to enjoy a whole packet of cigarettes in the freezing temperatures.

Jane was worried that she would forget to ring and ask again, but luckily remembered and rang at 5 ish to be told that Alan was in recovery. Jane is a little confused as she doesn't know what Alan needs to recover from. Jane assumes this is a man thing and he is making a fuss as usual.

Jane thinks he is waiting for the topless nurses he has been promised and that Alan will continue to make a fuss until someone tells him it was a joke.

More to come...................................

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Spot on Jane.

:lol: :lol:

leather_ferret

Post by leather_ferret » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 pm

Hi Jane

Best Blog I 've ever read :lol:

Give me a Surgeon that takes his time and does the job right, any day of the week.

They always seem to arrange a bed in ITU but depending of how you are in the recovery room, they might send to the slightly less intensive HDU. In my case I woke up almost immediately and was chatting to them in recovery - but I don't remember it. I do however remember, 2 hours out of theatre, doing my nut 'cos they wouldn't let me have a cuppa tea.

All sounds like very good news to me :)

'Pancreatitis by proxy' - that is the quip of the year ...so far :lol: :lol:

Loadsa Love

Dave

leather_ferret

Re: More blog........

Post by leather_ferret » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Jane Dalgleish wrote:Jane thinks he is waiting for the topless nurses he has been promised and that Alan will continue to make a fuss until someone tells him it was a joke.
More to come...................................
... I hope you realise that he may never forgive you for this !

My Mum (God rest her soul) promised me there would be a box of toys under every bed, when, at 4 years old I went in for me tonsils. I still have not quite come to terms with that deceit.

You women, full of trickery & falsies :lol:

Dave

rayhunt

Post by rayhunt » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Now Jane.......

When Alan gets home you are to attend to his every need, from brushing his teeth, combing his hair, lots of sympathy about the pain, words of comfort - how great he will feel when the operation pain subsides, give him the TV remote - don't put him to the stress of looking for it. It (if he plays his cards right) will be at least six months before he is capable of helping with the dishes, lawns or any other manual work. Give him a long cold drink while he wtaches you weed the garden. AND GIVE ALAN my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Ray & Her indoors