Unexpected Development

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Shining_Peace

Unexpected Development

Post by Shining_Peace » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:17 pm

Today, I gave 6 vials of blood. I saw a Hematologist. In a week and a half, I dearly hope the results rule out leukemia but point to another cause for my abnormal blood results. If this round finds no cause, I am looking at a bone marrow biopsy.

I won't lie, I am terrified. The last time things went this wrong, my pancreas was ruined.

I really walked into this appointment thinking the Hematologist would point to one of my meds as the cause of the abnormalities and poof the issue would be explained. I also hoped that the blood test from yesterday would be normal so the doctor could blame the prior two tests as the result of a silent infection of some sort. Unfortunately, yesterday the results were higher than that previous two tests.

In good news, my GP is thrilled with my blood pressure numbers.
~Sassy

Bob1955

Re: Unexpected Development

Post by Bob1955 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:21 am

Try not to worry, I had way more white blood cells for quite a time, think it was because of infections, I also had a bone marrow biopsy done some time ago, mine was taken from my hip, but I believe females have it taken from the breastbone...no idea why, mine came back ok and im sure yours will too, I was 17 at the time and it was a bit scary, but the modern bone biopsy will be no doubt a whole lot improved, I was in hospital with broncho pneumonia and was very ill, the doctors could not understand why i was not responding as well as a 17 yr old should, it was during this 3 month stay I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis and this answered the doctors questions about my failure to respond as well as I should.
I really think you will be fine, it is just another test to get an answer to your problem, a elimination process...anyway, I'm betting you don't even get the biopsy 👍

maz

Post by maz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 am

I hope things all come back with much better news than you are worrying about Sassy. I know we always go straight to the worst case scenario in our minds, but most cases that doesn't happen thankfully. Why does it take so long to get the blood test results, are there some tests that require longer processing? You are going to have to find some things to fill your mind during this time. Thinking about you xx
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 am

What a horrible time for you hunny. There's nothing worse than waiting - like Marilyn says you always fear the worst.

Thinking about you my love - keep us posted.

And hugs aplenty for you.

Jane xx

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Well no bad news, but I will still need a bone marrow biopsy on Wednesday. If those results are negative, I will need a CT of the chest and abdomen. Then a colonoscopy. I am not out of the woods, yet.
~Sassy

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Thinking of you hopefully all comes back negative take care X
Paul

maz

Post by maz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:32 am

Indeed Sassy, we wish you all the best as you await more tests and results.
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Well, Sassy, I truly hope the bone marrow examination is normal. It's by far the worst exam to have, at any rate. You'll sail through the rest, you've had them before. Fingers crossed, at any rate. I know we're competing with how many pathologies one human being can have and still live to tell the tale, but I hope you lose :D

Mike x

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:08 pm

I hope all is well tomorrow.

:)

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 pm

As the others have said, hope it all goes well 🤞, The bone marrow test is not great fun, but it is usually quite quick, the biopsy site is different for men... but still not great... if it needs done then it will be just another step towards hopefully getting you sorted... I hate tests, biopsies, giving blood and all the other stuff you get hit with on entering a hospital.

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Just a small update, I had the biopsy. It was in the back of my pelvis. I have a great big bandage! Going to go to sleep for a while. Having to lay on my back to keep pressure on the area. Thank you all so much! Now we wait again. More later!
~Sassy

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Thinking of you best wishes
Paul

Richard2017

Post by Richard2017 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Take care Sassy,

Hope you get some rest.
Richard

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Yea sassy...glad thats over...mine was also pelvic, but from what I remembered women used to get their's on the breastbone...glad you are done with it now tho 😚

maz

Post by maz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:31 am

Glad that is over for you. Well the practical part, you still have to wait yet again for results, and I know that can be a worrying time. I am sure the pelvic bone is a better position for the biopsy than the sternum. I only assisted at one bone marrow biopsy and it as in the sternum and :| . Not something I would want. But still painful no doubt wherever they do it. Take care and do what they told you to do. xx
Marilyn