Is This Irony?

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
refandy

Is This Irony?

Post by refandy » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi everyone

On the 26 September, I 'celebrated' the 5 year anniversary of my TP. The same day I had to drive my 28 year old son to A&E knowing he was going to be diagnosed as type 1 diabetic which duly happened.

Irony? Misfortune? Coincidence or Hereditary?

2020 - the year that just keeps on giving.

Take care everyone
Andy

maz

Re: Is This Irony?

Post by maz » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:25 am

Sorry to hear about your son Andy. Though liveable with, it isn't something we want our children(at any age) to have to deal with. Congrats on the 5 year TP anniversary. Truly I thought it would only be 3 years. Time passes so quickly. I am sure these 5 years have been so much better than the previous years and you have made the most of feeling better, even with the restrictions living with no pancreas brings.
Marilyn

refandy

Post by refandy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Yes, time has flown by and a lot has happened since my op - moved house, completely renovated it, changed job, been promoted 3 times. As you say, i'm much better off now than I was before - though a lot more tired.

I've been able to give him lots of advice and he's doing really well - just the usual frustrations for someone trying to control their blood glucose. He'd become so dehydrated that he put on 9lbs in one day in hospital just from being on a drip with fluids! The timing of his diagnosis was, well, just weird and of course him and his fiancee are now wondering what these means for any children they may have.

One thing, it has made me realise is how different my BGs are to a 'normal' diabetic. Nothign I can do about that - they are what they are !

Take care
Andy

maz

Post by maz » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:16 am

Yes, your sugars will be so very erratic and can be harder to control. But, here you are :D It sounds like you have coped well with a very busy 5 years.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:13 am

Hi Andy

I'm so very sorry to hear about your son. I know diabetes is not the worst diagnosis you can have but it's pretty devastating in one so young. He will need a grieving period to get his head around it but no doubt with the resilience of the young he will come out the other side and realise it's not the end of the world, it jut feels like it at the moment :? .

Congratulations to you on your 5th anniversary and all you have achieved in that period. If you son is as determined and resilient as you are, he'll be fine.

Hugs

Jane xx

refandy

Post by refandy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:07 pm

Thanks Jane

He is determined. Unfortunately, he has my control freak nature so he has to learn to be comfortable feeling uncomfortable.

Take care
Andy

Anne Dawson

Post by Anne Dawson » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:00 pm

So sorry to hear about your son, Andy.
At least he's got his dad to give him good advice.
Congratulations on your five year anniversary, too.
All the best!

Post by 26.12.11 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:22 pm

Time flies by.
Sorry to hear about your son, if he is anything like his dad, he will be fine.
Sharon

refandy

Post by refandy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:51 pm

Thank you!