Things that happen in lockdown

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
paul..m

Re: Things that happen in lockdown

Post by paul..m » Thu May 07, 2020 2:00 pm

Rumour is that our ex councillor who was in a current court case for fidling council had a family BBQ caught virus and died of complications serves him right
Paul

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Thu May 07, 2020 4:33 pm

Maz when you was a little girl at the seaside and wanted to get changed bet your mum said get on with it no body will take any notice so don't worry about no changing rooms .If your still worried I am sure Mike and myself will hold a hand towel around you . :wink:

maz

Post by maz » Thu May 07, 2020 8:39 pm

paul...m wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:33 pm
Maz when you was a little girl at the seaside and wanted to get changed bet your mum said get on with it no body will take any notice so don't worry about no changing rooms .If your still worried I am sure Mike and myself will hold a hand towel around you . :wink:

What on earth have you been drinking Paul if it isn't alcohol :shock: :shock: :roll: ? You would be scarred for life. Besides, all I remember was my mum making a special towel, like a huge tube with one of the loose ends gathered up. You threw it on with your head out of the gathered end and stripped off completely safe and secure inside. We wuz posh we wuz. No people holding towels up around us on our little sandy patch :lol: .
Marilyn

paul..m

Post by paul..m » Fri May 08, 2020 6:47 am

Lol
Paul

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat May 09, 2020 11:59 am

:lol: :lol: @ Marilyn!

I think Paul has a serious case of lockdown fever!

It looks like garden centres are to be opened and quite rightly! If people are shielding then they need to do something! If they are not gardening then I predict a baby boom :shock: :shock: .

Gardening is better for the environment! There is no point in all these people dying only to replace them with a load more :shock: .

We talk about this at work a lot (obviously) and even the GPs are saying there is still a total lack of understanding on the way the virus targets certain groups. The black and Asian population are definitely being hit harder than the white population. I wondered if it was a socio-economic factor but apparently the vast majority of clinicians (ie 90%) who have died from the virus are black or Asian so that throws the socio-economic theory out the window. Apparently it affects men more than women as well.

And as you are surely aware, children, whilst likely carriers, rarely have any noticeable symptoms. There is always a silver lining somewhere!

Hugs

Jane xx

paul..m

Post by paul..m » Sat May 09, 2020 12:26 pm

Next door taken a sudden interest in gardening but haven't seen his wife or children for over a week and our drain did block other day .
Paul

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat May 09, 2020 12:30 pm

:lol: :shock:

maz

Post by maz » Sun May 10, 2020 9:11 am

:shock: Keep your eyes and nose peeled Paul :shock: :shock:
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun May 10, 2020 11:38 am

:lol: :lol:

I suspect there will be a lot of divorces as a direct result of the lockdown. There must be many couples out there who have survived their marriages because they rarely see each other. If you are stuck together 24/7 it must put a strain on the very best relationships.

I have found it interesting that since the lockdown started my memory is shot! Speaking to other people at work they all report the same. Apparently it is a sign of stress in that the information goes in but doesn’t stick. When it started, work was just unbelievably manic. Things were changing on an hourly basis as we reacted to events and changed processes that had been in place for years. It was simply information overload. Fascinating but very, very stressful.

The last time I can remember this memory lapse happening to me was when my then, 3 year old son was in intensive care. To this day I have no idea how long he was in there. I THINK it was about 4 days, but it could have been more or less.

I find it interesting that my stress levels may have been at that extreme immediately following lockdown.

I suppose we have to accept that our whole lives have changed and not for the better. We are so used to just popping to the shop for a pint of milk and now that is an event in itself! Years ago when the shops weren’t open like they are now we had to plan food shopping better, but we have all become used to the convenience of ‘open all hours’.

Everything we do has to be considered. And some things we simply can’t do. It’s hard to accept that when we live in a free country.

Interesting times and let’s see what Boris has to offer tonight.

Hugs

Jane xx

Post by 26.12.11 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 pm

My neighbour came back from a holiday in America last week. He had been in Florida for a month. Was told be another neighbour today that he had a stroke and is in hospital, he had tested positive for Covid-19. I spoke to him the day after he came back from America, Dave is worried that I may have been close to him. He was on his drive, a I was in my garden, I reckon there was about 10ft between us but I must admit I’m a tiny bit worried.
Kipper the dog has been back and MIHDW visits another neighbour.
Thankfully we still seem to be keeping lockdown rules. Hopefully tomorrow will finish doing front garden so I can concentrate on back, which will keep me away from the neighbours.
Sharon

maz

Post by maz » Wed May 20, 2020 8:45 pm

That is very sad for your neighbour Sharon. I hope he has a quick recovery from both the stroke and Covid. ,With strokes you have to get treatment super quick. I am sure you will be fine as far as your chat with your unfortunate neighbour goes though Sharon, unless he coughed or sneezed of course. Just a waiting game for 10 days.

Whenever I have been somewhere, like today it was the pharmacy, I am very relieved when 14 days after have passed. Tomorrow, Thursday, will be 14 days since John and I had to go to A&E. First was a taxi :shock: , then the hospital, which was not welcoming to me at all :lol: as I wasn't supposed to even be there :oops: . All the chairs in the foyer where normally you can wait were all tied up. Benches outside were gone too. It was the bleakest place, like somewhere from a scary post apocalyptic film. I don't know where you would find out you weren't supposed to go with someone attending A&E, I still haven't found out. Thing was he was dizzy and lightheaded, so couldn't go on his own anyway. Fortunately we only live 20 min walk away, so I went off home :roll: . John followed 3 hours later in another taxi :shock: . So tomorrow is the day. But now of course I have been to the pharmacy today...oh and M&S food hall. Back to proper isolating now.
Marilyn

Anne Dawson

Post by Anne Dawson » Thu May 21, 2020 9:56 am

Strange times Marilyn. The hospital sounds very bleak. Hope John is OK now.
Good that you were brave enough to go to the hospital, a lot of people haven’t been,
and you got a twenty minute walk for your daily exercise!

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Thu May 21, 2020 1:04 pm

Sorry to hear John’s been poorly again Marilyn :cry: . It’s such a frightening time to be poorly.

The thing to remember guys is that the hospital and pharmacy staff don’t want to catch the virus either, so they are being ultra cautious. Nurses, as you well know Marilyn, are great at infection control and in my experience wash everything within an inch of its life to ensure no cross contamination (I pity their children!).

I personally think supermarket staff are doing a sterling job with little thanks. They are more at risk than I am working in a GP practice.

I would guess Sharon that you are going to be okay. The distance between you and your neighbour and the fact that you were outdoors is crucial and exactly as Marilyn says, provided he didn’t cough or sneeze on you, your chances of catching the virus from him are as close to nil as they can be.

Just to be boring with the facts - I live and breath this stuff at the moment! - 7 days should be enough to stop worrying! 14 days is only if one of your household is symptomatic. You then need to double the time to ensure you haven’t caught it.

If neither of you are symptomatic after 7 days then you are okay.

maz

Post by maz » Fri May 22, 2020 9:38 am

I think the supermarket and other shop workers have been fantastic, and like you say Jane, no recognition. Same with dustmen, postmen and other delivery folk who have kept working throughout, though they are pretty distanced of course. No doubt there are others I can't bring to mind in my early morning(to me) brain fog, but I am grateful. I like to think of ALL NHS workers at the Thursday clapathon(and at other times) It takes many many more people than just the hospital doctors and nurses. .

Thanks for your kind thoughts re. John. He was becoming more dizzy and feeling pretty poorly. We did some BP checks and his systolic measurement was most often 90 . and his pulse was very low too. I couldn't get through to our GP surgery and it was coming to the end of their day, so we called 111 who did a detailed online check, chatted with a medic and then said to go to hospital. They let the hospital know. The hospital did a really good check over, told John he had done the right thing to go, which always helps to know. They decided he was on too high BP meds(we did wonder) so cut one down a little which did help. John felt so much better quite quickly. When his cardiologist phoned for his phone consultation a few days later he cut another med right out as John's BP was still a bit low, so things are doing well now.

Now it is me who is having problems with sudden high blood pressure and bad headaches.... sigh, this old age thing can be a pain.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 pm

So pleased to hear that John is better with a few tweaks to his meds - a massive relief for you both. And now you are feeling unwell Marilyn? Do you think it’s stress related? It sounds likely to me given the coronavirus and John’s illness.

Take care of yourselves xx

And today I was waiting in a queue at the shop, it was very windy and my glasses were perched on my head. The wind blew them off and they broke in half :shock: :evil: .

They won’t superglue - I’ve tried - and nobody is doing eyetests. I am therefore trying desperately to find an opticians who can help me by either providing new frames on the old lenses or some other potential solution. Naturally I can’t find my prescription for my eye test even if I ever had it! :shock I only need them for driving and the TV but I really do need them. So I am going to milk the NHS connection to try to speed things up a bit, IF I can find a solution!

Memo to self: have a spare pair of glasses for emergencies even if they are cheap or NHS ones!

Mind one benefit is that Alan looks so much more handsome :D :lol: .