Things that happen in lockdown

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!

Things that happen in lockdown

Post by 26.12.11 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:10 pm

My dad, who I love dearly is a grumpy old man, though looking back he was a grumpy younger man as well. He decided he had to go into lockdown 2 weeks ago. This was after saying well it’s better to die of something, can you imagine dying and people saying, it was sudden, one minute healthy marathon runner next dead. My dad has never run a marathon.
I’m just off the phone to him. There is a disaster waiting to happen, he had started talking to the neighbours, well more shouting across gardens. I am 53 my dad has never spoken to the neighbours, apart from swearing under his breathe at them. I think he might become a headline 😂😂😂😂
Sharon

maz

Re: Things that happen in lockdown

Post by maz » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:07 am

:lol: :lol: Bless him.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:31 am

Talking to neighbours? :shock: :shock:

That is just a step too far! :lol: :lol: I wonder if your dad is actually my next door neighbour who, although I have lived here for 25 years, has never spoken to me other than to complain about minutiae :shock: .

I wouldn't mind his son was an absolute little s*** when I first moved in and broke the window in my door throwing a stone at it :roll: .

So I don't agree with talking to neighbours - it's an accident waiting to happen :lol: :lol: .

Hugs

Jane xx

maz

Post by maz » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:42 pm

We chat to most of ours quite happily, though some of those a bit down the road are more private or don't recognise us. No getting together for street parties(thank goodness), but we can have longish chats, and we help each other out if needed. Apart from our chiropractor neighbour who lives across the street that is. Before he moved there, we were actually clients at his clinic, some of his first ones. I think we went for going on 5 years, and actually we felt better when we were going. Broke, but better. I can't really remember why we stopped, but I think we didn't feel we got value for money, I will leave it at that :lol: . Anyway, a few years pass and a new family move in over the road. It took quite a while for us to work out it was this chiropractor. Well we always said hello to him and his wife, and yes, they did reply just about, but no chit chat. But, if we didn't say hello first, they ignored us. They still do. If we see them out and about they will walk straight past us avoiding our eyes, and they must have been here 5 years now. We have taken a parcel in for them a few times. Once, it was a big flat screen TV, on a Friday :lol: I saw the delivery guy pop a note through their door. Around tea time they came home, but didn't come over. They went away for the weekend and didn't turn up till Monday, and we had this big annoying TV sitting in the hall all that time. When the wife eventually came round she just kind of smiled, and then John had to help her over the road with the TV. Our friendly next door neighbour has given up trying to be friendly to them, but I keep trying. I must be so annoying :evil:
Marilyn

Post by 26.12.11 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:23 am

His neighbour on the right is a widower as well, they have been neighbours for years. They do chat across the gardens. The other side was a bloke, who didn’t actually live in the house, he visited once a week to pick up mail. He sold it to a single mum, but she decided it was to small for her. Her boyfriend moved in but she only visits, which is odd. There is a young family across the road, my dad said the woman is in hospital a lot, the have 3 kids. Most of the rest of the street has lived there for years. My dad does know them all, but his buddies live in the town, locked down, so I think they are all fed up.
I spoke to him on Friday, he said he needed milk, I made a mistake about telling him about the “coo shed”. It is a working farm with a cafe (closed due to virus) but they have a milk vending machine. You can by a reusable bottle to fill with milk or take your own container, I was going to get it for him. He was oh I can go there. It is open 24/7 I can see him sneaking out in the wee small hours.
Sharon

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:32 am

I got an ear infection was feeling ill every time I moved didn't fancy being ill at Drs but eventually decided to go . After waiting on phone to make appointment was told its would be a telephone consultation . Nice nurse very helpful even got prescription sent to a closer chemist so wife didn't have so far to go ( aint I kind ) never had to leave house result hope they continue with minor problems being dealt with over phone ,don't like sitting in waiting rooms full of sick people .
One good thing about this virus if I have to go to shops for essentials and in a que I am not so wound up much calmer .
Getting loads of jobs done that keep getting put off so can stand another month at home Looking on bright side if I am not earning then nor is the tax man . :D

maz

Post by maz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:25 am

paul...m wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:32 am
I got an ear infection was feeling ill every time I moved didn't fancy being ill at Drs but eventually decided to go . After waiting on phone to make appointment was told its would be a telephone consultation . Nice nurse very helpful even got prescription sent to a closer chemist so wife didn't have so far to go ( aint I kind ) never had to leave house result hope they continue with minor problems being dealt with over phone ,don't like sitting in waiting rooms full of sick people .
One good thing about this virus if I have to go to shops for essentials and in a que I am not so wound up much calmer .
Getting loads of jobs done that keep getting put off so can stand another month at home Looking on bright side if I am not earning then nor is the tax man . :D
Things could well change quite a bit. I do think the way GP surgeries work could well change after all this is over. There are so many things that can be done via the 'phone or video link rather than having to turn up at the surgery. Even A&E might change a bit as people have found out they don't need to go for acne and dandruff!(We can only hope anyway) Many more people could be able to work from homes after this 'trial' season of them doing so. Smaller shops might do well rather than the big supermarkets, as some went over and above in helping the vulnerable. More Milkmen might emerge(getting milk has been one of our minor problems) I could think of more for sure, but I have a lot to do today :lol:
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Just wish I could work from home but most of my customers pay cash at the door and most in high risk groups .So I have stopped work yet a few others are working now not sure if I should or not Queen Nicola did say carry on for gardeners and window cleaners .

maz

Post by maz » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:58 pm

paul...m wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:54 pm
Just wish I could work from home but most of my customers pay cash at the door and most in high risk groups .So I have stopped work yet a few others are working now not sure if I should or not Queen Nicola did say carry on for gardeners and window cleaners .
Can you agree with your clients before hand that if they want you to clean their windows, you go and do that, knock on the door, stand back, they leave your payment on the step, they go inside and you pick up the money, with gloves on? Or wouldn't that work? I am sure you have thought of everything though Paul. I know it is difficult for self employed people.
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:23 am

It may be possible that way but as its a short week this week and next also van booked in for MOT so may start week after but still feel it is morally wrong .

maz

Post by maz » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:25 am

Well that is a different issue of course, and in that case stay home for now.
Marilyn

Post by 26.12.11 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 pm

Curious incident of the car parked on the road.
Yesterday morning there was a car parked across the road from my side garden. Never seen it before (or had I). So it was parked from 8am until 4.30pm. We ruled out dog walker, visitor to one of the neighbours.
It was parked again this morning. I went out to take dogs round the field, when an unknown man walked along the opposite path. I thought ahha the driver. Young bloke walking with purpose, he gets into the car and drives it to a house further along street. Now you might not think this odd but this area is really quiet, everyone knows everything. I’m at a loss to why he parked a quarter mile from his house (I don’t think he lives there either). Being Scottish means I can just ask.
Which brings me to another lockdown story, my neighbour was talking their dogs out. There was a man on the opposite side of the field, she called out good morning, he went ballistic and told her she wasn’t allowed to speak to strangers.
Sharon

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:43 am

8 till 430 day shift working times suspect he is having an affair .

maz

Post by maz » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:13 am

26.12.11 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 pm
Curious incident of the car parked on the road.
Yesterday morning there was a car parked across the road from my side garden. Never seen it before (or had I). So it was parked from 8am until 4.30pm. We ruled out dog walker, visitor to one of the neighbours.
It was parked again this morning. I went out to take dogs round the field, when an unknown man walked along the opposite path. I thought ahha the driver. Young bloke walking with purpose, he gets into the car and drives it to a house further along street. Now you might not think this odd but this area is really quiet, everyone knows everything. I’m at a loss to why he parked a quarter mile from his house (I don’t think he lives there either). Being Scottish means I can just ask.
Which brings me to another lockdown story, my neighbour was talking their dogs out. There was a man on the opposite side of the field, she called out good morning, he went ballistic and told her she wasn’t allowed to speak to strangers.

There are some strange things going on for sure. If the guy didn't live at that house then he is not doing the right thing visiting. But then again, he could be someone who has come home from being away for a long time living abroad and you hadn't seen him before. Or.......there are numerous possibilities, one of them Paul mentioned, but it is still odd. Your other neighbour must have encountered a Londoner escaping to Scotland :lol: Maybe he thought her germs might reach him across the field. They can go a long way(20+ft from an open sneeze I believe), but not that far across a field. We are all becoming paranoid. Which is better than being lackadaisical in these present circumstances of course!
Marilyn

Post by 26.12.11 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:05 pm

He didn’t turn up today. But I did have a disagreement with a man. So I’m out in the field that no one comes too. This is behind my house. The other field is behind my neighbours, that gets the dog walkers. Anyway there I am walking round the field when a man and a dog appears. My dogs run over to say hello. Only one makes it to his dog, he shops her away, which she did. I call across and say she is just having a sniff. He then says you cannot be too careful, I say well dog isn’t going to give you it. He says your not a scientist so shut it. How he knew I wasn’t a scientist is a mystery. But I did shout back I don’t have to be a scientist to know your a knob. I was going to say arsehole but I noticed a neighbour. Then to go one better cos I cannot shut up. I told him he wasn’t welcome in the field, that is was for residents of the street and he wasn’t one. I was going to push it further by saying go back to glasgow ya ned but didn’t.
Sharon