Chinese Virus

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
MikeyB

Re: Chinese Virus

Post by MikeyB » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:07 pm

All these disaster movies, and worries about a new killer pandemic are all nonsense. Flu viruses, which are the fastest spreading, have an array of vaccines. Haemorrhagic viruses like Ebola are spread by direct contact. The problem with Ebola, and similar illnesses, is that they quickly kill. That’s a bad deal for the virus, because all it ‘wants’ to do is reproduce itself. That’s no good if you kill your victim, and they are easily stopped with isolation. The best pandemics these days would be a non-lethal virus, producing a sneezy cold. We may well have lived through such a pandemic and not noticed. One up for the virus. This coronavirus just missed falling into that category.

paul 28

Post by paul 28 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:45 am

I know ordinary flu can kill but the kill rate for this virus is a bit higher . I have gone back to work but missing the very old or seriously customers don't want to be responsible for killing one off .Dead customers are a bit slow paying .

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:53 am

paul...m wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:46 pm
Customers neighbours son is a scientist who reckons this virus is just a practice run for the next big one on the way hope he is wrong .
Can't you just tell him to shut up? :roll: :roll: Why do some people take pleasure in being doom mongers?

On the TV news the other night it was all about the economy crashing etc. Right now nobody cares! We just need to get through this on a day to day basis and then dust ourselves down and see what is ahead when we feel safer.

We need positive news right now not more doom.

Hugs

Jane xx

paul..m

Post by paul..m » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:42 pm

Good news just brought shares in Andrex so suppose they will go down the pan
Paul

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:04 pm

:lol: :lol:

If you are buying shares I would suggest in an undertakers? :roll: :roll:

paul..m

Post by paul..m » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:22 pm

It will only go up in smoke
Paul

maz

Post by maz » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 am

Sadly a nurse at our local hospital died of the virus. Someone set up a fund to pay for her funeral which is a really nice thing to do. The cost - £8000. What :shock: ? Now maybe they were thinking they could give a little gift to her family too, I don't know, but the information did not say that. Some people are making a lot of money from this virus. Paul, if you want a change of job....
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:21 pm

I was listening to the news the other day and the company who own the premises for the Nightingale hospital in London were going to charge the NHS £2 million pounds per month rent :twisted: :twisted: .

Interestingly Jacob Rees-Mogg (who is a leading politician) had 15% shares in the company. The rent decision was reversed very quickly once it became public knowledge.

There is also a real concern about crime figures. A Health Care Assistant from the practice next door to ours was mugged at knifepoint for her handbag whilst cycling home from work at 5pm - in broad daylight in the town centre. But there was nobody about to stop it or witness it.

Apparently the price of street drugs is increasing and there are no shops open for the drug-dependant to shoplift to fund their habit. You could argue that there should be more police about, but they have been underfunded for the last 10 years the same as the NHS and will also have staff off work either self-isolating or ill.

So I suppose the warning now is, if you are out and about make sure you are safe from crime.

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:04 am

What job do you have in mind Maz.
Went to pick up Mums prescription last week everyone lined up outside . was about 6th in que still had to wait 45 mins woman behind said she had to wait 2 1/2 hours the day before . next went to another chemist for wife waited 30 mins whats going on surely it shouldn't take longer making up presriptions in lockdown . Can imagine in the cold some will be getting hypothermia .

maz

Post by maz » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 am

Undertaker Paul, the only ones making any money just now (and charging the earth for their services) As far as pharmacies go I was thinking people were getting all their meds even if they didn't need them, kind of like loo roll hoarding. At least that was what I thought at the beginning when the queue at our pharmacy was so long, nothing made up and you had to wait. This time I only had to wait for one guy in front, and my meds were ready. I was still shaking for quite a while after I got home(safe and sound)

You all just have to be extra vigilant out and about, but that is much easier said than done when you are just attacked like that Health Care Assistant. Poor thing, those kinds of situations are really hard to get over. I did hear some time ago that NHS passes were being stolen, often with violence, so the thieves could get into the early shopping hours. Whilst this pandemic has shown the best in people it has shown the worst too, sadly.
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:30 am

Good idea could do 5% discount for my customers and a 2 for 1 if done at same time (dead or alive ) . Was reading a book about London burial sites when they had plague epidemics ,bodies would be buried then few months later dug up bones crushed up for fertilizer and grave reused .When reopening a grave used to put burning straw in grave to get rid of nasty odours .In one case a house oppersite a raised graveyard complained about gunge leaking through walls of grave yard !!!! .Was on holiday somewhere and next to raised graveyard was an old stone drinking trough thought at time wouldn't fancy using that .

maz

Post by maz » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:38 am

I read somewhere, and just went to check, that the graveyard of Haworth church in West Yorkshire where the Bronte family lived in the vicarage there, was so overcrowded and 'poorly oxygenated'(??) that decomposing and putrid matter filtered into the water supply :shock: Haworth is sat on top of a hill, so this 'matter' seeped down the hill. That from a sanitary report back in the day. I can't remember(from reading I hasten to add :wink: ) what they did apart from stop more burials.
Marilyn

paul..m

Post by paul..m » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:34 pm

Also read most of London is built over burial sites
Paul

maz

Post by maz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:17 am

There must be skeletons almost everywhere I guess. Best not think about it :shock:
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:08 am

That's why I wont open my cupboard be a few in there :lol: