Chinese Virus

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
paul...m

Chinese Virus

Post by paul...m » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:55 am

Am I being heartless but when a town city is in quranteen I was under impression nothing moved in or out of that area as was learnt from the plaque if its a new virus how do they know its only a 2 week incubation period .

maz

Re: Chinese Virus

Post by maz » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:07 am

There is a lot we don't know about this virus Paul and it is worrying. Yes, it reminded me of the plague too, and the people in the village Eyam who decided to quarantine themselves to save others. I think whilst there are people still coming out of China, or came out before they stopped flights etc, it will spread anyway, so I understand what you are saying. I guess we just owe it to out countryfolk who were stuck over there to get them here and taken care of. As one 'evacuee' said, rather be here in hospital than over there in one :| . They will be in quarantine for 14 days so we just have to hope that is a long enough period for a new virus we don't know much about.

It helped when they said last night that it(so far) isn't as bad a virus as Sars and Mers(sp?) were for deaths. Plus more die from the normal flu. But we wait and see.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:35 pm

The whole thing is driving me mad!

You'll all remember the swine flu epidemic which was so over-hyped by the press that the whole country went into panic mode. It wasn't as severe as 'normal' flu but people were terrified. I worked in the NHS at the time and had to manage a flu centre one weekend (we were asked to volunteer but we weren't allowed to refuse! :roll: ).

I had patients crying in sheer terror for their kids. I was advised that as a non-clinician I wasn't allowed to give advice. However when one lady came in with her 2 year old child and mum was in floods of tears that the child was going to die, I sat her down and asked "Would you be this frightened if your baby had seasonal flu?" she said not. So I advised that swine flu was less severe and had a much lower mortality rate than seasonal flu. She eventually calmed down.

The stupid part about it was that had her 2 year caught seasonal flu, it well might have been at risk.

I am concerned that the press are creating the same terror again. They have a lot to answer for!

Hugs

Jane xx

paul..m

Post by paul..m » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Should have said yes 2 year old is going to die we all have to go sometime
Paul

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:10 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:19 pm

What none of the media have noticed is the death rate from this new virus, which in terms of the number of cases reported is about 1 in 100. That’s far better than seasonal flu, which, as a matter of interest, killed 245,000 worldwide last year. This new virus is killing fewer people than measles does.

So China is quarantined for a bad cold and sore throat. I don’t know of any quarantine orders on those African countries where Ebola is returning. Ebola is a proper infection, if you get it, you will die a horrible death more likely than not. It kills around 80% of folk who get it.

maz

Post by maz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:27 am

One part of the media did notice the death rates and mentioned it, and flu being much worse - last Thursday. It was on a news report we saw. I have seen others mention it too. But it just isn't getting out there in general, they prefer sensationalism.

However I do think one issue that the Chinese authorities didn't know was how bad it would be or was going to be. So best to be a bit prepared as these new strains will continue to develop and one day one of them might be THE one. At least China will be read by then with their new built hospitals. I also think they were being pressured by the world as they did keep it a bit under wraps at the beginning I seem to remember.

I still don't want to get it though :roll:
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:41 pm

The concern initially was because nobody knew how the virus was transmitted or how virulent it is.

I have had to write a protocol at work for any patients who rock up with symptoms AND have been in either of the affected Chinese provinces recently.

Normally I take these things with a pinch of salt. For example I was bombarded with emails from Public Health about how to deal with potential victims following the Novichok situation. I ignored them! It was so geographically distant from us and so remote in terms of likelihood of patients arriving with the symptoms.

However with this situation I have had to be a bit more proactive because we have a university campus about 3 miles, as the crow flies, from the surgery and they have a huge number of Chinese students so we have to ensure the staff know what to do.

I am genuinely not concerned. We are front line but exactly as Mike says, the seasonal flu can be deadly but nobody really worries about it, we just accept it as the way things are.

Hugs

Jane xx

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:57 pm

I see people profiting from hand sanitizers one I keep in van has gone up to £49 from about £3.99 so thought why not use rubbing alcohol at about £4 for 500ml smells like deep heat which improves smell of van lol

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:27 am

:lol: :lol:

Apparently I am advised that people are being told NOT to wash their hands in vodka because it doesn't work :shock: .

Waste of good vodka IMO!

Hugs

Jane xx

heleng

Post by heleng » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:56 pm

I remember not to long ago being in total isolation for nearly a year, this was to save our farm animals and not spread foot and mouth. No visitors unless flew in by helicopter in haz suits, our post was opened and faxed to us, our shopping was delivered a mile away and we disinfected it, we made bridges for walkers so they could go around etc etc Next door to my elderly mum is a couple that have returned from Italy and self isolating, but they have no concept of what that means. I have visited many clinics and hospitals in the last month and no effort to even make people think about biosecurity. I just find it all puzzling.

paul 28

Post by paul 28 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 am

two phrases from Dads Army come to mind " Don't panic don't panic " + " Were doomed doooomed "Think thats what Boris was saying yesterday

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:46 am

No Paul, Boris advised we need to 'squash the sombrero' ie prevent the virus peaking! He does make me laugh at times :lol: :lol: .

I appreciate what you are saying Helen, but the government's stance is to try to stop the virus peaking to the point where the health services are overwhelmed. I think it's fair to say (working in the industry) that up until Thursday evening when the government announced the 'delay' phase we were all in a bit of shock and didn't want to panic. On Friday morning this all changed and things are moving on at pace.

I can't imagine how you managed to self isolate for a year :shock: :shock: . It must have been horrendous. I suppose non-farmers didn't realise the impact on farmers at that time.

Hugs

Jane xx

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Well he didn't squash Sombrero hard enough think wife has it so Dr Paul is going to have to look after her by end of week I might have it then she can look after me so better be good to her or she will get her own back .

maz

Post by maz » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:23 am

That's the thing Paul, you take care of her or else :shock: . I hope it isn't Coronavirus, but if so, may it be mild and then she(and maybe you) will be immune for this strain. It is beginning to get real isn't it? Do you have family or friends to bring shopping to your doorstep?
Marilyn