Avoiding Black Friday the hard way

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
MikeyB

Avoiding Black Friday the hard way

Post by MikeyB » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:26 pm

I spent the day before Black Friday feeling dizzy and unwell. Black Friday was persistent vomiting day (though my Blood Glucose was normal.) Saturday morning confused, disorientated and still dry vomiting, or vomiting back the sips of water, and the BG took off. Out of range. Paramedics blue lighted me into hospital with diabetic ketoacidosis, an occasionally fatal complication. Had a couple of hours in The Emergency room, then transferred to Intensive Care on a Saline and Insulin drip. The next day, slept a lot, but the drip was taken down and put back on my normal regime.

Discovered that the food at Blackburn Royal is the worst in the world. Truly awful, unappetising rubbish. The breakfast choice for a T1 diabetic? Cornfkes, Weetabix or porridge, and a large dry white roll with “diabetic” jam. Only the Halal curries were islands of taste. Oh well, the care I received was textbook impeccable, so I’m still around to tell the tale.

Still not anywhere near 100%, but at least I’m still around to cause trouble. :D

And still sleeping 11 hours each night. Lost 2kg over the weekend. The next adventure is on polling day - a trip to the Walton Centre in Liverpool, a sort of flagship neurology unit, to get a proper diagnosis for my neurological problems, which have worsened recently.

Oh well, plough on. At least Blackburn Rovers are on a winning streak, so it’s not all grim oop North :D

paul..m

Re: Avoiding Black Friday the hard way

Post by paul..m » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Hope you are still recovering well best wishes
Paul

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:00 pm

You are certainly getting payback from the NHS for your years at the front end Mike!

I hope you are starting to feel a bit better.

Hospital food is a strange beast is it not? We have a hospital in the area where the food is so fantastic that the locals pop into the canteen for lunch when they are not even visiting the hospital. The care is not great however.

We have another where the food and the care is awful!

I remember Alan being admitted to hospital with an acute on chronic attack and was told he couldn't leave until he'd eaten. His meal? Fish and chips :roll: :roll: . He also reported that his breakfast was cornflakes and a sachet of butter and one of jam. No toast though :lol: :lol: .

Maybe it's the NHS' way of getting people to discharge themselves early to avoid malnutrition.

Hugs

Jane xx

maz

Post by maz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:30 am

Been away for a couple of weeks so a bit late to this. Glad all was well Mike. Is that your first trip to your local hospitals since moving? Hospital food seems to be getting worse and worse for sure.
Marilyn