Life as a GP practice manager

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
paul...m

Re: Life as a GP practice manager

Post by paul...m » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:35 pm

If people look hard enough you can usually find something positive ( not always ) if we have a bit of a rubbish Christmas this year shows how good we have had the past Christmases ,and how good will next years seem .

maz

Post by maz » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:53 pm

So true Paul. It is only this 1 year, well, if the vaccine does what it should that is, and there is no reason to think it won't. We have been hunkered down for the whole time, since 23rd March, and for me I had almost a month on my own when John was in hospital. I do feel for those who are alone though and are struggling etc., or should have been visiting family for Christmas, but with the vaccine now being rolled out, it isn't for much longer.
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:58 pm

If we cannot have Christmas as we want then lets just hang on till vaccine is here and have an outdoor party to celibrate when its safe to do so lets not rush now we have waited this long just a bit further to go .

maz

Post by maz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:30 am

Very true Paul.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:26 pm

And there's the positivity! It gets us all through this. As bad as it seems (and IS) I just think that my immediate family is VERY lucky. The virus has not impacted on anybody's income, we have had no family members die and things are starting to improve slowly.

There are people out there who have had THE WORST year of their lives both from bereavement and financial disaster. The impact on me professionally has been enormous but not personally. I really cannot complain.

And wonderfully the GPs at my practice told me that I had been 'awesome' this year, kept positive and kept the staff positive and displayed a 'can do' attitude and have given me £150 of vouchers to be used at the local posh Spa and a free day off to use them :D :D :D . Isn't that just fantastic? :D :D :D

I am so touched by the gift and mainly the sentiment. As far as I am concerned I was just doing my job but how lovely that they recognised the effort needed to do that.

I rang Alan to tell him about the gift and he admitted later that he wondered how we were going to spend the vouchers because we don't shop at the Spar :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . :lol: . I went on-line when I got home to see what treatments are available and of course it's shut due to COVID. I did tell the GPs that I thought it might be a dodgy gift which they all thought was hilarious.

And now a whole 10 days off to recharge the batteries ready for next year.

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:59 am

Well deserved gift and 10 days off ( could be a mistake having that long off what state will NHS be in without you )

maz

Post by maz » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:36 am

You do really deserve the gift and day off to indulge :D . Whenever they re-open that is. Until then, the anticipation will keep you going. Enjoy your time off.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Thank you so much guys :D . You are my biggest fans :lol: :lol: . Probably my ONLY fans :lol: :lol: .

I will have to pop into work on Thursday to get my first COVID jab (hopefully). We are vaccinating one of our care homes on Wednesday and there will be a few spare vaccines (now available in smaller packs of 75 to allow for care homes). If I am lucky there will be one for me.

We can only use them for staff at the moment if there are 'spare' ones. I have put myself at the bottom of the list at work due to my lack of patient contact. This isn't selfless but pragmatic.

Unbelievably, I had a complaint last week from a patient who said she had brought her mother for her COVID jab and she had witnessed one of the staff at the clinic bringing her 'friends' in to get a jab. This is so bloody annoying! We are not allowed to give then to anyone other than 80 plus year olds at the moment. Any 'spare' from patients not turning up can be given to staff. The 'friends' will have been colleagues from one of the 3 practices who are working together to administer the jab, called over at the end of the day to use up the spare ones :evil: :evil: . And who would argue that GP practice staff should not be near the top of the list?

The GPs and nurses are seeing patients face to face. Nowhere near as many as usual, but they are still taking a massive risk.

I usually try to remain professional when responding to a letter of complaint and whilst I did manage to remain professional this particular patient got a verbal rocket up her bum. I was SO angry with her! We had worked our socks off and all she could do was complain :twisted: :twisted: .

I told her she was accusing us of fraud against the NHS which technically she is. The rules are very strict and suggesting we are not adhering to them is a serious allegation :evil: .

If she takes umbrage then she can! She actually said in the letter that "this can't continue'. There's a part of me that hopes she rings me to object to the letter and part of me hopes she doesn't. I'm not sure I could be accountable for my comments :lol: :lol: .

maz

Post by maz » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:49 am

You let rip Jane, it will make you feel better.

It seems all our vaccines are being given at the Great Yorkshire Showground. They gave the organisation of the area's vaccinations to a large group of local GP's. We think they should have asked the army to organise things, they are pro's! :lol: I will not moan, I will not moan... :lol: I think we might be getting the vaccine in February or even March, I had originally thought mid January but I think I was being unusually optimistic there, not knowing or understanding everything :roll: .
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:47 pm

It makes sense Marilyn to do it at such a large site. I suspect they will have access to marquees as well?

February or March sounds about right for your age unless they get approval for the Oxford jab in the meantime. That will move things along a bit quicker and make it easier to use the army. The trouble with the Pfizer jab is that it is so fragile both before and after is is drawn up - they aren't allowed to shake it or drop it. I don't think the government would be happy allowing non-medical staff to administer it.

Let's hope that no patients decide to go dancing after the injection :lol: :lol: .

It's frustrating still having to wait but I suppose at this stage another couple of months is neither here nor there :roll: :roll: . At least it is winter and people feel less like going out after dark. Hopefully by the time the lighter nights are here things will be a bit better.

Like you I will not moan, but oh! for some normality!

maz

Post by maz » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 am

Oh, I am very happy to wait, I should have mentioned that, I definitely didn't mean to moan about that part :D . I am quite happy to stay indoors and know my vaccine date will come whenever. Just get those who truly need it done first.

My little niggle with the choice of venue is that we can see our GP surgery from our doorstep and can be there in a 2 minute easy walk(as can a few 1000 others who live in the vicinity of the 4 practice building) Travelling to the Showground is a 15 minute car journey down a very busy road to out where nobody lives, plus then the longish walk from the car park. It is a building, not marquee, thankfully for the staff. It would be nice if you could just drive up, stick your arm out of the car, get your jab, and get on your way. But I know you have to hang around for a while waiting afterwards so maybe not so good in a car. But, I would be happy to do that.

But I said I wouldn't moan and look what you made me do :lol:

And YAY, the Oxford vaccine has been approved :D :D :D :D Let's get the whole world vaccinated and save lives. The new UK variant of the virus is much more transmissible so that is why thing have got worse much quicker, but it doesn't seem any more dangerous which is a blessing. Now we can make some impact with this vaccine.

The new South African variant of the virus which is the same change, but sprung up on its own, seems to be causing more illness in younger folk/children and over 50's. So we hope that didn't get here before they stopped the flights from SA.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:17 pm

And Oh brilliant about the Oxford vaccine! The UK has apparently ordered more of those than the Pfizer one (which I suspect they won't be able to give away now :roll: :roll: ) and is much easier to administer.

My understanding as well is that you don't need the 15 minute wait after having the Oxford vaccine. That may change however if anybody has a reaction to it.

I take your point about the venue Marilyn. It is a bit frustrating when you are so close to your GP practice. Sadly rules at the moment say it has to be delivered to one site and administered from the same site even if a group of practices are collaborating. Again, that may change but I doubt it in the short term. The delivery must be a minefield of difficulty and you can imagine some practices saying "can you delivery 41 to this address and 22.5 to this one" :lol: :lol:. We also have to make sure the cold chain is safe, so the patients and staff have to go to the vaccine rather than the other way round.

Exciting and interesting times! We'll look back at 2020 as the year from hell. Thank goodness we had no idea in March how long it would go on for.

And out of interest one of my GPs,who is always very informed, advises that masks help but it is hand hygiene that makes the difference. I suspect as a retired nurse you knew this all along! I have a bottle of sanitiser in my car and use it every time I come home or go and see my mum.

maz

Post by maz » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:37 pm

Yes Jane, hand washing for me as I am home almost all the time and I like the idea of rubbing all those virus particles on my hands to death for 20+ seconds :lol: It seems more definite than rubbing a few drops of gel around your hands somehow. I have hardly used any hand gel at home, only when at the hospital, dentist, hairdresser, entering and exiting M&S Food dept. I think that is it, I prefer hand washing and watch the clock usually. We do sanitise things entering the house, food and mail, or leave things for a day or so. I only wear a mask once and then wash it. I nag John about that but he is lazy that way. I ended up hand washing all 6 of his masks last week! I had nagged him for a while so said "would you like me to wash your masks for you" "yes if you want" he said :lol: I have thrown some in the machine in the past, but some shrank so I am a bit more cautious now. I might be a bit over the top, but I don't mind that. Back in the big lockdown I sanitised around the house everyday, handles, bathroom items, TV remote, door knocker and outdoor handle and letter box etc. We never went anywhere to bring the virus in to get on these items, but it didn't stop me :lol: I didn't want John to catch the virus, or me for that matter of course but my main focus was John at that time. Now I only do the front door hardware :roll: .
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:20 pm

The perfect nurse! Our GPs, whilst very strict on hand-washing, are nowhere near as 'clean' as the nurses! Our nurses disinfect everything and on the odd occasion where we have had a known COVID positive patient in the practice, all I have to do is let a nurse know and the whole place is disinfected within an inch of its life :lol: :lol: . I'm surprised we have any door handles left :lol: :lol: .

Meanwhile, hot off the press due to most of the UK going into Tier 4 from today, it is looking like we will have to cancel the booster jabs next week for patients who had their first jab 2 weeks ago and using 'their' jabs for new patients :roll: .

The decision is due to the new strain which is more contagious. The science advises that after a first jab a patient has some immunity for 12 weeks, so it kind of makes sense that we vaccinate as many people as possible to buy us a bit of time.

COVID - the gift that keeps on giving :roll: :roll: .

It's been an interesting few days off. On one hand I am getting a bit of a break, on the other I am still in touch with work because the situation keeps changing. In the 'normal' times I do get a proper break but this one has been marginally successful. It's that kind of job.

Teamwork is really important and regardless of how much prep you put into being off, patients will prevail!

I wish you all a very happy New Year! I sincerely hope that 2021 is better than 2020, but the most important thing is that we are still here, we have been mentally battered and challenged, but nevertheless we are still buggering on.

Maybe the world needed this to make some of us realise what is really important?

Hugs

Jane xx

maz

Post by maz » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:17 am

I understand why they came to that decision to delay the booster and vaccinate more with the first shot, but apparently the Pfizer vaccine guys say they didn't test the vaccine with a 12 week gap between shots, so don't even know the efficacy of the wider gap, so don't know if we will be covered to the degree they said we would be in the end. Surely the vaccine developing people know best and not the 'whoevers' who made the recent decision? Not sure how I feel really, very disappointed I guess, particularly for those more vulnerable.
Marilyn