Life as a GP practice manager

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
maz

Re: Life as a GP practice manager

Post by maz » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:33 am

Oh and the surviving staff had to deal with the telephone system breaking down on Wednesday. Unable to take incoming calls. They had technicians working on it, but it seems it lasted 4 to 5 hours from the timings of the texts. Must have been rather stressful.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:06 pm

Poor beggars! And indeed something I worry about :( .

However, amazingly Marilyn they will cope. GP practices deal with crises on a relatively regular basis and you would be astonished at how resilient we all are. I am always so proud of our practice team that in times of crisis we all pull together and get through it. And we still put the patients first.

And sadly I bet your practice manager gets a load of complaints afterwards that the patient couldn't get their flu jab/blood test/examination for minor cold symptoms :roll: :roll: .

We had a married couple who turned up for their pre-booked flu jab on Thursday. We only allow 3 patients in the surgery for the flu jabs at a time and they wait a matter of minutes if that. Whilst the pair were waiting the husband got a text message advising him that his COVID test was positive :twisted: . When you go for a COVID test you are told to not go anywhere at all until you get the results. So this pair turned up at a GP practice for their flu jabs :twisted: .

He advised the receptionist about his positive test who told him he had to leave the premises immediately. His wife asked if she could still have her flu jab :roll: :roll: . We had then to disinfect the whole area where they were sitting. There are no words at times.

They seem to have no concept that, like at your surgery Marilyn, the outcome of their utterly selfish behaviour could put a GP practice under severe stress or even close it. They were both young (she was pregnant) so the flu jab was not vital for either of them.

And then we have had a complaint from the mother of a patient who has autism. We made the patient wear a mask during a close up examination for a potential ear infection. Mum said it was discrimination because her daughter is disabled. I have had to point out that the GP was at significant risk of catching COVID from such a close up examination.

To be utterly fair, the vast majority of patients are accepting our rules and thanking us for keeping going. But the odd ones like the above examples make me want to slap them :lol: :lol: .

maz

Post by maz » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:42 am

It is shocking to find out what ridiculous things patients complain about. You deal with them all so well Jane. People make such a fuss and bother about the tiniest thing these days and get offended by just about everything. It is wearying and you have to wonder how things will be in 20 years. I mean it has changed so much in the last 20 so.... :roll:

I was looking at the staff photos of our practice staff the other day. The practice manager looks so young, I mean, straight out of college young. I hope she managed to deal with all the stress of the Covid issues and made good decisions. Well I guess she is the practice manager, her actual title is Business Manager. Maybe she did Business Studies at Uni? Perhaps they have a GP Manager studies to add to the degree these days. At least this year will have given her much of the experience of the job she will ever need :lol:
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:19 pm

That's interesting Marilyn. There is increasingly more business managers AND practice managers running surgeries these days. Years ago the practice manager had worked her or (rarely) his way up from being a receptionist but it is far too complex for that to be a good model anymore.

We have a business manager who is an accountant. She comes in one day per week but deals with things like VAT and financial monitoring that I have not got the expertise (nor desire) to be involved with. GP practices have a huge financial turnover these days and I would worry about that level of responsibility. I do the operational day to day stuff. To be honest there are not enough hours in the day for one person to do both in larger practices.

So this week the fun of the delivery of the vaccine! It is a massive operation which I am enjoying being involved in. I've had 4 virtual meetings already about it. Very interesting - well to me anyway!

You will be contacted when it is your turn for a vaccine. You need two vaccines within 3 - 4 weeks of each other. We are starting with the over 80s and working our way down by 5 years per group. GP practices are at the forefront of this but as we get to the younger (under 55) age groups we will need the support of anyone who can help.

I suspect the army will be involved by that stage.

And yes, I will be having the vaccine. I may indeed grow an extra head in 5 years time but in my opinion the only way back to 'normality' is for everyone to have the jab. We need to achieve herd immunity so the virus has so few potential hosts that it is powerless or disappears.

I do understand people are nervous but I genuinely believe this is the way forward.

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:54 pm

Thank you Jane that has made my mind up to have the jab unless the army are doing it incase they get muddled with needle and machine gun , is that why its sometime called a shot of vaccine but seriously when my time comes I will be there .

maz

Post by maz » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 am

I dread to think our 22 year old grandson in the army could be giving injections :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jane, I want the injection, but would like to sit and wait and see how it goes and if anyone actually grows a second head :shock: . I guess at least I am a little bit down the list and don't have to be part of the first groups who are kind of trialing it :roll: . Are people just getting any of the vaccines or are they sorted due to best for old folk etc.? I think the one that has come out best for oldies so far might not quite be being distributed yet though. I guess that one will be out in time to vaccinate the little ones :lol:
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am

At the moment Marilyn nobody knows which vaccine will be best for who. The flu vaccine is modified each year and we now know that certain vaccines work best for certain groups but it is too early to say with the COVID vaccine. I'm afraid it is a case of anything is better than nothing at the moment.

They have tested the vaccines on groups of several thousand patients already and most are showing little to no side effects. Apparently some get aches and pains post vaccination but nothing serious.

I think we have to trust the scientists on this one. It is scary but if we want normality back we have to take that leap of faith.

Don't get me wrong - I am not having the vaccine without some minor concerns on the unknown. But equally I want my life back. I can't have it both ways.

Hugs

Jane xx

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:06 pm

2 heads better than 1 .If its only way forward at the moment then I am all for it .

maz

Post by maz » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:44 am

I think most of us will be a little nervous about the vaccine with it being rushed, which was due to necessity of course, and the researchers have done amazingly. We need as much of the population as we can get to have the jab. It truly is the only way to get out of this terrible situation and save more lives and economies. The virus is not disappearing just yet and those who don't have the vaccination might be in for a bad time at some point. The illness is not fun. Hopefully if they are just too nervous to be vaccinated, they will soon see that it is safe and ask for one later. Hopefully we will reach herd immunity.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:16 am

The fun bit is the delivery.

The vaccines arrive in batches of 975 doses. Each dose needs diluting and then drawing up into a driver and a syringe attached. Once delivered it only last for 5 days in the fridge or 5 hours once drawn up. So we will have to delivery 975 vaccines within 5 days and at the moment nobody knows when it will be delivered :roll: :roll:.

Then we have to do a second jab on the same patients 3 - 4 weeks later. Bit of a minefield in terms of organisation. Most practices are buddying up with their Primary Care network because it is too much for one practice to manage on their own.

We can only do it by appointment to ensure social distancing (if we did a drop in clinic there would be queues up the road). Equally we must do it by appointment to ensure the right patients are getting vaccinated. Believe me many will try to jump the queue :roll: :roll:. Somebody will have to take patient consent and check they are well enough for the jab, somebody will have to act as marshal to ensure patients go in the right direction, somebody will have to draw up the vaccines and somebody will have to inject. We also have to cater for housebound patients although we are only classing bed bound as housebound for this jab. If a patient can get into a car to be driven to get the jab then they will have to do so and be jabbed in the car in the car park outside the surgery.

It really is a massive mobilisation effort and we are now pushing NHS England to drop some of the contractual work we have to do to earn money for the practice. We will struggle to deliver the jab AND do the extra work that is required.

So be patient with your practice if they sound a bit vague about the details of delivery. We know very little at the moment and may in reality be advised on a Monday that the vaccines are arriving on the Wednesday and have to get all the patients in in time.

And I was interested that the government are suggesting that public sector workers will have a pay freeze. I knew they wouldn't DARE do it for the NHS although I pity the others who have worked above and beyond :roll: .

As the Chinese curse says: "May you live in interesting times". :lol: :lol:

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:37 pm

I will settle with "May you live"

maz

Post by maz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:59 pm

Janey Dal wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:19 pm
That's interesting Marilyn. There is increasingly more business managers AND practice managers running surgeries these days. Years ago the practice manager had worked her or (rarely) his way up from being a receptionist but it is far too complex for that to be a good model anymore.
So, it appears our practice has a new website. I had seen it looked like the old one was 'broken' it was not working, just had a page where there was a message about being sorry, and working on it and phone the practice if necessary. I kept seeing it over a couple of weeks and wondered how it could be down for so long when the information that should be therein is so important. Well unbeknown to me as a patient, they had a new website :roll: . John came across it somehow, why they couldn't have put a notice on the old one saying so I don't know :? . Anyhow I went went to have a nosey round and found the get to know us page. They had changed and updated that and on there was a section titled Practice Management. Under there was the young looking previously mentioned Business Manager, and now also there is a Deputy Practice Manager(she looks very young too). They each have different areas of responsibility under the Practice Management umbrella. So I guess not that much different from what you were talking about Jane. I preferred the old website which was much more inviting. But there you go, I'm old :lol:
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:48 am

Not even looked at my practice website must have a look . Prob say something along lines dont ring til after receptionist has had 6 cups of coffee by which time you may get a semi pleasant response

maz

Post by maz » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:32 am

Oh dear. I thought those days had long gone Paul. Our receptionists are really good, friendly and helpful. I do remember back in the old days when they ruled the roost though. You had to get through them to even see a doctor.
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:32 am

I must change my view some receptionists are very good .
Had a nasty lump on head thought better get it checked out so rang for an appointment and got usual
no appointments left
ok i will take Monday .
Sorry will have to ring Monday cannot do advance bookings .
After a little discussion "wait and I will see what I can do .... Its your lucky day nurse practitioner will call you back."and then ends up saying " I am pleased we could help you today "
Yes got call back and appointment and all is ok .