A book I must recommend

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
stuart13

Re: A book I must recommend

Post by stuart13 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:27 am

I acquired lots of books to read when I retired but they are now on my 'round to it' shelf.

One day.

:)

maz

Post by maz » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:49 am

I see that proper books are coming back into fashion. Seems reading machines are losing favour. I don't read over much but would always prefer a proper book.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:09 am

chandra wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:34 pm
The only film I've ever watched that was as good as the book was 'The Green Mile' - apart from renaming the pet mouse it was virtually word for word :D
I wholeheartedly agree Julie. I actually hadn’t noticed that they had renamed the pet mouse! The only book I’ve read where the film was better was Jaws, but that was because the book was rubbish and barely the same story as the film :lol: :lol: .

I actually prefer my kindle to books although it took me a while. The main reason is I often fall asleep reading and with my kindle it just switches itself off and I don’t have to turn the light off, which used to wake me back up :roll:. And in all honesty with the amount I read I would run out of storage room for books very rapidly.

And the utter joy of finishing a book and just buying another there and then will never wane :roll: :roll: .

Hugs

Jane xx

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am

I’ve just started rereading Robert Jordan’s “Wheel of Time” fantasy books, mainly because Amazon are filming it for a series starting later this year, presumably to pick up the audience that watched Game of Thrones. It’s completely different, and far more thoughtful. Trouble is, the first book is 800 pages long, and there are 14 in the series.

I’m not bothered about Amazon covering all 14 volumes, I’m just hoping I’ll live long enough to finish the books :lol:

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:15 pm

You’ll just have to read faster! :lol:

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:51 am

I’ve just finished the Tattooist ofAuschwitz on two people recommending it.

I was distinctly underwhelmed.

Quite a good story but not ‘great’ by a long chalk in my opinion.

Hugs

Jane xx

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:10 pm

I’m in the process of reading a book called The Foundling by Paul Joseph Fronzak,

It’s a true story about a baby who was stolen from the hospital in the early 1960s, 2 days after his birth. The baby was subsequently found 2 years later and reunited with his parents. EXCEPT! They weren’t his parents!

I'm finding It quite fascinating especially as DNA evidence wasn’t available then so it is easy to see how it happened.

I haven’t finished it yet so don’t know the outcome. I am at the stage where he has realised at 50 years old that his ‘parents’ were never his parents and his quest to find out who he actually is.

Hugs

Jane xx

maz

Post by maz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:48 pm

That one sounds good Jane.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:34 am

It’s fascinating Marilyn! I can’t put it down!

hugs

Jane xx