Are you sitting comfortably?

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Richard2017

Are you sitting comfortably?

Post by Richard2017 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:01 am

This might be a really stupid question but wondering if posture is a trigger for exacerbating pain levels?

I really need to start working from home again in the next month or so but after sitting at my desk for just over half a day earlier in the week my pain levels got much worse (epigastric going through to back) and pretty much knocked me out for a few days. I hunch over when working and wonder if this is aggravating things.

I'm considering forking out for a desk with an adjustable height so I can alternate between sitting and standing. Thinking maybe that and taking lots of breaks might help ?

I guess the answer is probably 'if it hurts don't do it' but really need to start working again and just wondered if anyone had any thoughts?

Thanks
R :)
Richard

paul.m

Re: Are you sitting comfortably?

Post by paul.m » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 am

Cannot comment on posture but if you think it maybe I have seen pictures of chair where you are perched on front edge of seat and feet rest on a bar under seat but don't know what they are called ,but think you have to sit upright or you fall off .
Paul

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:25 am

Hi Richard

Like Paul I am unaware that Alan has ever had problems with sitting position and increased pain. However, who knows really?

It may be that the pain is increasing but because you are distracted with work you don’t notice?

I think you are right in that if it hurts, don’t do it! And it certainly makes sense to get an adjustable chair and take regular breaks. Can you speak to a physiotherapist about recommended chairs?

Hugs

Jane xx

Richard2017

Post by Richard2017 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Thanks Jane and Paul,

It's an odd one, certainly doesn't make things worse when I'm sat in front of the tv for hours but guess those jobs are in short supply...

Got another meeting with occ health next week so will bring up with them.

Have good weekends.

R:)
Richard

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:17 pm

As your in Norfolk maybe you could get a farmer to make one out of that new building material they have over there ....Straw.... Sorry couldn't resist that so wont say NFN . Maybe I should delete this post as I have to slip over the border to Norwich Wednesday to see my son .
Paul

Richard2017

Post by Richard2017 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:03 pm

I'd be careful Paul.

You might be met by a pitchfork waving hoard of six toed Norfolkians when you reach the boarder on Wednesday.

;)

R
Richard

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:05 pm

What you need Richard is a kneeling chair. They are designed for back pain relief, but because they force an upright back posture, you can’t lounge or adopt a sloppy posture, and there’s no pressure on the contents of the abdomen, inflamed or not. They are usually adjustable for height. Not that expensive either, around £70-120. Most office suppliers sell them. I knew someone who had a bad back who used one, and she absolutely loved it.

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:30 pm

That's the type of thing I was thinking of Mike .Or how about a portable writing table with an incline if your using laptop or keyboard .
Paul

Richard2017

Post by Richard2017 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks Mike, I know the kind of thing you're talking about. Will take a look online for some tomorrow.

Slightly annoying timing as was with the pain management guy just the day before and telling him how well I was getting on with the current meds. Serves me right for trying to work again.

Thanks Paul, unfortunately I need to be blasted by the radiation of 3 seperate monitors for my sins, so would need to upgrade the bed to a super king size to get all that onboard, there'd be no room left for Mrs Richard either. ;)

Thanks for the ideas.

Richard

Sacha

Post by Sacha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 pm

You are not alone Richard. I have been unable to sit for very long in ANY chair for over a year now. (Duct dilated and full of stones, causing pressure).
I have to sit propped up with cushions on the sofa or on my reclining chair.
Plus side, do odd jobs around the house as not so sore when on my feet.

Sacha

Richard2017

Post by Richard2017 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:30 am

Thanks Sacha,

I think it might be a case of trying to alternate between a few different things and see where I get to.

Sorry to hear that things are still tough. Is there anything that can be done to help re. The stones and duct?

Glad to hear you're managing to do some odd jobs though, I managed to paint our outside meter boxes over the weekend and was disproportionately proud of that! Small victories are still important :)

Hope you're doing ok, despite all the obvious rubbish.

Richard

Sacha

Post by Sacha » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi Richard
I see my consultant in 3 weeks to discuss my options for surgery to deal with my pesky panc.
Keeping busy is a good distraction from the constant pain.
Are you any nearer to a diagnosis?
Sacha

Richard2017

Post by Richard2017 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi Sacha,

Hopefully they can come up with a plan to make things more bearable for you on a day to day basis. Be good to know how you get on.

My ongoing 'journey' is still slowly winding its way through single lane back roads towing a caravan and is too long and boring to write about here. To summarise GP says yes it is definitely. Consultant, after much chasing, says if the scans he still hasn't bothered to look at say what I've been told they say it would be possible to get a diagnosis. However he has now referred me to another consultant because it was all just too much bother, so I'm now starting again with them. Currently chasing scans myself before getting next EUS and possible biopsy done.

Phew :)
Richard

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi Richard

You’ve certainly had and are still having a rough journey. But I have to say that you sound much more positive than you did when you first joined which makes my heart glad!

I’ve seen those kneeling chairs and they look like instruments used by the Spanish Inquisition to me, but I suspect that if it eases your pain it’s worth it.

Hugs and keep on buggering on!

Jane 😘

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 am

Kneeling chairs are surprisingly comfortable, Jane. You should try one, then you wouldn’t be so grumpy with patients. :wink: