Cpet

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Bob1955

Cpet

Post by Bob1955 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Cpet tomorrow at 1pm, hopefully pass this one 😧

paul.m

Re: Cpet

Post by paul.m » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:53 am

Fingers crossed for you
Paul

Foxysally

Post by Foxysally » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:29 am

Hope it goes well Bob, let us know afterwards x
Sarah

Colin 31

Post by Colin 31 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:26 pm

My very best vibes to you and sending you lots of my strength for you to help you to a great recovery.

Colin

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:27 pm

Well, no real idea how it went, I will find out on wed at my next appointment, I cannormally do 40-45 mins on the gym bike ant that is taking it up to level five, today I managed 14 mins but I don't know what level that was at...obviously different settings, I told the nurse I felt dissapointed at my time...he laughed and said the test is designed to get you up to max in as short a time as they can...otherwise they would be there all day, it was tough, and my heart was pounding, but my legs were nowhere as tired as last time, this time I felt that at full pace my breathing was hampered by the mask...it is very tight fitting for obvious reasons...but I felt a bit claustrophobic and gagging for air at the end... im hopeful tho 👍👍

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:09 pm

All I can say is that it’s a good job they don’t do this to little old ladies who come in with a fractured hip :roll:

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 pm

When I came out Mike, my wife was talking to a older lady about mid 70's who had pancreatic cancer and was going to get the whipple, she was next up for the cpet, I really don't think putting a 70 something person on a exercise bike is a great Idea, she looked quite frail, now I know there are many at that age who would do ok on the bike, but there are more who wont and you can tell by looking at some people that they are not fit for it...

Foxysally

Post by Foxysally » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Do they have you hooked up to ecg etc so they can tell when it gets too much?
Sarah

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Yes, about 10 wires attached to my chest, lower back and sides, full mask on and basically everything monitered, my heart was given a good but short workout and I called an end to the test...I think that is normal, you are tested to failure or if they see something wrong, they do not take their eyes off the monitor tho

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:23 pm

Well following my exercise test on monday, today was the day I had to find out how that went and what would be my next step towards my operation...good news or bad...I dont know, so here we go. My fitness levels have got a lot better but my oxygen levels drop too much on exercise...coz of my well dodgy lungs, they were pleased that my fitness had improved and I had done what was asked of me, but unfortunately they said my chances of surviving the op was very low, it is the most complex op you can get and dangerous even for fit people.
I will now be screened/scanned every 6 months, then 1 year to keep their eye on it, but even if it goes cancerous in so many years they still think it would be too much for me to survive and if I did my quality of life would be poor, chemo would be my option where it may prolong my life, but.....he did also say I could die of something else before this cyst becomes cancerous, Joan is happy I'm not getting the op, but I wanted it to be done n dusted, anyway, bottom line is I carry on and keep going to the gym to keep my general health up...tomorrow is a appointment with the chest clinic... then hopefully I will get a few weeks break fae hospitals... 😊

Foxysally

Post by Foxysally » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:45 am

That must feel a bit disappointing, but better not to do it than not to survive it. At least it's done you good to improve your fitness.
Will Joan make you keep going to the gym? I can imagine I'd find it harder to motivate myself without a goal!
Sarah

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 pm

I am very very dissapointed to be honest, The gym was always there for me to get me better for the op, I feel I was either misinformed or not given the full facts, I believe I was led to believe I would have the op if my fitness improved and I am now very down knowing it will not be available, I am most concerned about these cysts turning cancerous and having no knowledge how long that will take.. 1 year..5 years..no one seems to know or wont say, Joan does want me to continue with the gym but at the moment I feel whats the point, I had a appointment at cf clinic today and just could not face it ..so did not go, my expectations were maybe too high, but I was sure I was getting this op, it was a different person who broke the news to me and I found that strange, anyway, it is what it is, it is out of my hands.

Colin 31

Post by Colin 31 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 am

Very sorry to hear this news Bob.

Please try to go back to the gym and focus on your fitness , it will be hard , go through this disappointment .

Best wishes

Colin

Sacha

Post by Sacha » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:16 pm

It's a big blow Bob, but don't give up. I did well last year on fitness test then at last hurdle, appt with surgeon, I was told no op. You will get your determination back, once over this major setback.
Sacha

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Don't give up on the exercise completely, Bob, regardless of any other problems it has to be good for your health.

Stu :)