My Little Friend

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Shining_Peace

My Little Friend

Post by Shining_Peace » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:17 am

My Mother was startled this afternoon by a snake in the hallway.

The size of a large earthworm, my new friend was frantically searching for an exit. We have no idea how the snake found its way into the house, and we hope it came alone!

I tried to coax the wee bugger into a plastic cup, but no way was it going where we could easily return it outside. I didn't want to handle the thing, as venomous snakes are common in Texas. Young snakes are typically more dangerous because they do not limit their venom output like an adult.

Lucky for me, this snake was not interested in striking. When I covered the snake with my hand, it calmed down and wrapped its tail around a few of my fingers. Then it hid under my palm until I moved to capture it more securely.

It was almost a sweet moment that little tail wrapped around my fingers while it almost cuddled with my palm. I was slightly tempted to adopt the wee mite. Then sanity returned and I released it into the safety of the backyard.

Bugger didn't even look back as it slithered quickly to safety! Ah well, it was for the best. My husband has a very healthy aversion to snakes. Although, I am sure my cat would have enjoyed such a treat...

I am like Bob; I get attached quickly and easily.
~Sassy

maz

Re: My Little Friend

Post by maz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:45 am

Wow, though I don't have an aversion to snakes from a distance, I certainly wouldn't pick one up, even a small one. Well done you.
Marilyn

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:21 pm

I give all snakes a wide berth not scared of them in this country but you never know if its a dangerous one that's escaped . Give earthworms a wider berth horrible slimey things .
Paul

maz

Post by maz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 am

Oh Paul, I am with you on earthworms. I really hated when children picked them up. Shudder.
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:51 am

Earthworms are fantastic. They aren't slimy at all, and without them we wouldn't have soil and the world would be covered in dead leaves and vegetation. Heroes every one.

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:27 pm

Heros your welcome to them and tapeworms , round thread you name them you can have them and just for good measure eels ( overgrown worms with teeth )
Paul

maz

Post by maz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 pm

MikeyB wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:51 am
Earthworms are fantastic. They aren't slimy at all, and without them we wouldn't have soil and the world would be covered in dead leaves and vegetation. Heroes every one.

Oh I know they are necessary, but a necessary evil for me. I don't care if they are not slimy or whatever, they give me the creeps. And don't get me talking about slugs, shudder.

I am with Paul.
Marilyn

oldestrocker

Post by oldestrocker » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:50 pm

WORMS!!! I am totally p****d off with the blighters. At this time every year like clockwork they decide to come up for a looksee of the world above the soil. My lovely green back lawn, striped to effect once again is full of little piles of wet grungy soil that when stood on splatters and covers the grass to a width if about 4". I'm sure my worms have cross bred with some native snake!

And as for slugs and snails, every night they are a relentless army of pests that are devouring everything in their path. They chew on the slug pellets and then spit them out. I have bedding plants that look like pictures of the trees on the Somme battlefield in the first world war - branches with no foliage.

You will find me out with my torch at midnight with a packet of Saxa salt dousing the blighters. The satisfaction comes that when hit with the said chemical they curl up in sheer agony whilst the salt melts into their muscus filled body.

My wife calls me cruel and heartless and has even told me that she will call the RSPCA if I carry on regardless.

maz

Post by maz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:33 am

Haha, John goes out late every night on a slug hunt. He realised the other day it takes him about 30 minutes and makes him late to bed.

Did you know that if you throw a snail out of your garden, say into next door's(John doesn't do that, honestly), or in our case at the time, into a wood behind our house, they will come back to your garden?
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Snails. Yummy :wink:

maz

Post by maz » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:51 am

MikeyB wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:51 pm
Snails. Yummy :wink:
So we can all send you our snails then :D ? We have lots of slugs too and they are just snails without shells!
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:11 pm

Very brave of you Sassy! I am actually a snakes' grandma :shock: :shock:, my son and daughter in law having taken a liking to them. They have about 4 - one of which is a Boa called Lola :shock: :shock: .

I feel obliged to make a fuss of them to be polite :lol: :lol: . Actually I don't mind them at all - they don't bother me and are quite therapeutic to stroke.

I don't mind worms either, apart from rag worms! Alan once took me on a trip to the seaside to dig some out of the sand, (he's such a romantic! :shock: ) they are good fishing bait apparently. They are without doubt the most disgusting creatures on the earth. Basically they look like a giant worm mixed with a centipede :? :? :? . I mean who invented them? :shock: :shock:

I have also eaten snails - not bad but I wouldn't do it again. My first difficulty came when, as I picked the snail up with the little fork to put it in my mouth, its head fell back and I could see its little horns slowly emerging from its head :shock: :shock: . I stuck it in my mouth quickly and turned my brain off :lol: :lol: .

They tasted okay but not something I would eat with chips for Saturday tea for example :lol: :lol:

Hugs

Jane xx