Hurrycane

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
stuart13

Re: Hurrycane

Post by stuart13 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:11 am

Very worrying if you are caught up in it.

:(

maz

Post by maz » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:54 am

If you are interested, this station is showing live how things are in Houston. Just frightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXQVOtroIQ
Marilyn

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:45 am

Hi folks!

I live in Rockport, and my little town is in grave shape. We are in Alvin, Tx for now. Houston is flooding in ways it has never flooded before.

So far we are safe and dry. Alvin, Tx once held the world record for most rain in a 48 hour period. The house is on high ground and did not flood during that event. We are hoping our luck holds. The yard, cul-de-sac, and street continue to drain between rain bands which is a very good sign.

We have received a picture of the front of our house. The front of the house looks very good, but we have no idea what damage was sustained on the sides and back. We have no fencing anymore, and several of the trees in the front yard were uprooted by the hurricane, or broken off at the ground level. Sustained winds up to 130 mph with gusts above 150 mph definitely cause such damage. We may have all of our walls but ruined interior because of roofing damage.

Residents are being asked to stay away. There are no electricity, water, gas, or sewage services. The city has no timeline for when those services will be established. The local grocery stores were heavily damaged, so no idea when food will be brought in, and most of the petrol stations are also damaged and may not be able to provide petrol to residents to utilize generators.

My pharmacy is no more. There are cabinets and drug bottles strewn about, but no walls remain.

It's so painful to see what is left of my little town!

You can find videos of the damage in Rockport, Tx on YouTube by searching Harvey Damage or going to stormwall.org . You can follow the flooding craziness in Houston by going to click2houston.com .

Rockport was lucky it did not flood as much or as long as anticipated, and we are no longer forecast to be hit a second time by Harvey when it heads around Texas while slowly losing strength.
~Sassy

paul m

Post by paul m » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:06 am

Good to hear from you and the main thing is your safe and please stay safe . It must be heartbreaking to see the things you have worked for be ruined , but your alive which is the main thing . I hope the only damage to your property is a tree or 2 fences can be replaced easily . Once again pleased to hear your OK .
Paul

Richard2017

Post by Richard2017 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:48 am

I can't imagine how tough things must be at the moment Sassy but as Paul says at least you're safe. Was thinking about what you must be going through on every news bulletin. Take care of yourself and hope you manage to get back home as quickly as possible.
Richard

maz

Post by maz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:36 am

I am so happy to hear from you Sassy and even more happy you are not underwater, though watching carefully no doubt. You must be feeling so sad about your home and hometown, and in one sense want to get there as soon as you are allowed to see how things are and secure things, and another sense scared to go. I saw videos of Rockport, it is going to take some time for sure, but you will all rebuild your community.

Stay safe and dry. xx
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:47 am

I have also been thinking about you Sassy.

I don't have the words to describe how you must be feeling. To have wanton destruction to your home must be so distressing.

However, as the others have said, so long as you are safe then the rest can be fixed.

Everything crossed for you sweetheart that the damage is minimal and you can get your life back as soon as practicable.

hugs

Jane xx

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:49 pm

I see Donald Trump is visiting the area tomorrow. I wonder if anyone will ask him whether this due to climate change, or just bad weather?

Anyway, the most important thing is our Sassy is safe, and I truly hope that it isn't just the front of the house that is intact. But then, bricks and mortar can be fixed. Broken people can't be.

paul m

Post by paul m » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:31 pm

Looks like bad weather to continue expecting a years worth of rain
Paul

Post by 26.12.11 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:40 pm

So good to hear from you Sassy.
I think all of us have been thinking of you and wishing for the best outcome.
I hope your home has not been damaged and you are able to get back as soon as possible.
Sharon

Anne Dawson

Post by Anne Dawson » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:42 pm

We've been watching the news and feel so sorry for everyone caught up in the floods. It's very frightening.

Thinking of you, Sassy.

Foxysally

Post by Foxysally » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:52 am

Gosh, Sassy, I watched a couple of YouTube videos including one of aerial damage to Rockport :(

Stay safe and really hoping your house has survived intact.

Thinking of you x
Sarah

refandy

Post by refandy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 pm

So glad you are safe Sassy. Hope the damage isn't as bad as you fear.

Andy

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 am

Still hanging in with my husband, parents, two dogs, and our vociferous cat. Houston flooded on an unprecedented scale, but the house in Alvin has withstood the test of weather again.

Not been easy days as my Fentanyl which was due to arrive on Saturday when the city was not flooded...it wasn't delivered. I have been battling my breakthrough pain as best I can. It was an ugly phone call with promises of delivery Saturday night or Sunday-neither happened because by that time roads were flooded. Maybe tomorrow.

I hope this note finds you all high and dry. *Hugs from Texas*
~Sassy

maz

Post by maz » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 am

I have still been watching your live different TV channel coverage Sassy. It has been incredibly scary for those in the flooded zones. I have watched to people come together and launch their own boats, dingies, canoes, jet ski's etc. and go out to rescue people. Heart warming for sure, but oh so sad for everyone, and nerve racking when they spot someone hanging on for dear life to something in raging waters, and hoping someone will come along, and then seeing them being rescued. I am so glad you are still safe and dry, but wish you could get your fentanyl. I have been thinking there must be loads of ill people suffering more, one way or another due to this situation.
Marilyn