Hurrycane

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Shining_Peace

Hurrycane

Post by Shining_Peace » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:58 am

Harvey is heading my way with a storm path all along the Coast of Texas. Hoping my Mom and I will find plenty of storm supplies tomorrow. The stores at home are already running out of bottled water.

I hope it remains small as a named Tropical Depression, but with temperatures in the Gulf of Mexico ideal for building hurricanes...you just never know.

It will definitely liven up an already crazy week. Either my husband will pack up the animals and head for Houston, or my parents and I will be fleeing South. Tomorrow I have my CT scans. Friday I get results from my autoimmune blood workup and my scans. Unless I have to cancel because of Harvey.
~Sassy

maz

Re: Hurrycane

Post by maz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:47 am

Stay safe whatever you end up having to do. We were in Orlando last year when one came along. Though it moved away a few miles at the last minute, it was pretty hairy for sure.
Marilyn

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Hope you and family stay safe with no damage
Paul

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 pm

My husband is boarding up the house. Harvey is possibly to be a Category 3 hurricane when it crashes into my beloved Texas Gulf Coast. The possibility exists that my house will not be standing when this bugger finishes with its destruction. But my husband boards up the windows just in case. My little town is under mandatory evacuation. How do you take a lifetime of memories when you need to get on the road with the rest of S. Texas? You don't.

Very sad Sassy this week.
~Sassy

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:46 am

I am glad to report Charles is here with me near Houston. All fur children also made the trip.

Fun times ahead!
~Sassy

Richard2017

Post by Richard2017 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:45 am

Glad you've got to somewhere safe Sassy. Was just reading about this on the news. Is probably the last thing you need at the moment. Hope it passes without causing too much damage and you can get home soon.
Richard

maz

Post by maz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:44 am

I was wondering how close your home would be Sassy. Are you close to the coast? Glad you are in a safer place now though and I really hope your home stays safe. It is rather a temperamental hurricane for sure. Went down to a 1 I think, and then surprised, no, shocked, everyone by bumping up to a 3 again.

The one we were in last October was going to be huge at landfall an hour away from where we were, so we bought all the supplies(cakes, cookies, chocolate, gummies, water, oh,and torch with lots of batteries :wink: ) and went to bed wondering what the morning would bring. But fortunately a few hours before landfall it veered a few miles out to sea, so didn't do as much damage as they thought. Further up the coast though and in the Carolinas they had floods and storm surges. One thing that surprise us was that the supermarket didn't sell matches, so we had to buy a cigarette lighter :lol:

Thinking of you.
Marilyn

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:59 pm

Well, last night landfall was supposed to be right through my little town of Rockport, Tx. Which would be very, very bad. Lots of things could be missing when we got back: our house; basic services like water, gas; roads; trees, and stores. Even if our house is there, we may not be able to live there for weeks as water, electricity, and available food/petrol for cars may not be available.

Cat 3 hurricanes have sustained winds of 111-129 with gusts up in the 140s. The hurricane is moving very, very slowly which means the damage is worse. Due to the current weather conditions, Texas may also flood. We carry flood and windstorm insurance, so we are covered in either case.

When I say my house may be gone, it may literally be blown off the foundation.

I am trying to stay positive, but I have seen what these storms have done before.
~Sassy

maz

Post by maz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:26 pm

At least you will be safe where you are Sassy. Though you have the extra worry of where your house is situated I know. I have seen some reports of people who refuse to leave. A guy with a little boy :( Saying because he has been okay in the past. I hope they will be safe this time too. I wouldn't chance it for sure.
Marilyn

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:37 am

Cat 4 now. :shock: