Last night

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
oldestrocker

Re: Last night

Post by oldestrocker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Bob1955 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:30 pm
Weather has been good, caravan site is a bit naff, but off to York on wed, been very busy here with the Regatta.
Prolly go to Bridlington tomorrow for the day, been before and another lovely town, I think I could live in Whitby tho...
We were in N Yorks in May for our annual outing North. Lovely area and rented a place in Thirsk for the week.

Being a true Lancastrian born and bred later moving South because of promotion in government service, I came to the conclusion that given a choice where I could live it would have to be in and around the Thirsk area.
Neither of us can find anything negative about it. Top of the bill for me has to be the food and the countryside.
Eating fish and chips sat on a bench in the market square in Thirsk was something to die for.

We can but dream only as nothing would make us leave our children and grandchildren behind.

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 am

stuart13 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:40 pm
MikeyB wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:27 pm
Give over, Stu, we don't think you're a fossil :D
:lol: :lol:

My wife does. :wink:
That's not what a wife means when discussing a stiffy, Stuart. :shock: :lol: :lol: :roll:
~Sassy

maz

Post by maz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 am

oldestrocker wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:54 pm

We were in N Yorks in May for our annual outing North. Lovely area and rented a place in Thirsk for the week.

Being a true Lancastrian born and bred later moving South because of promotion in government service, I came to the conclusion that given a choice where I could live it would have to be in and around the Thirsk area.
Neither of us can find anything negative about it. Top of the bill for me has to be the food and the countryside.
Eating fish and chips sat on a bench in the market square in Thirsk was something to die for.

We can but dream only as nothing would make us leave our children and grandchildren behind.

I can only agree that North Yorkshire is a lovely place, and a great place to live. I just miss the weather, though that isn't as important now at my age. I do prefer cooler weather.
Marilyn

oldestrocker

Post by oldestrocker » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:17 pm

[/quote]

I can only agree that North Yorkshire is a lovely place, and a great place to live. I just miss the weather, though that isn't as important now at my age. I do prefer cooler weather.
[/quote]

It certainly is. I was brought up on the other side of the Pennines in the Ribble Valley.
Harrogate - umm, the only place that I know that in walking around the shops you need to be an experienced Fell walker!!

Last year we ended up in Ripon at the old workhouse. It was a bit grim I must admit but what upset me was one of the notices on the wall - 'No Hawkers allowed'. That sealed my fate. I only recently found out that back in the 19th century I had a relative who was a Hawker (whatever that is). It must be bad so much so that you couldn't even get into the workhouse it seems.

maz

Post by maz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:47 am

We live so close to Ripon but we haven't been since we moved here 16 years ago. I did go as a child, and took John to the cathedral back in our courting days. Driven through countless times as the main through road still goes through the town.
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:58 pm

oldestrocker wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:17 pm

[/quote]

It certainly is. I was brought up on the other side of the Pennines in the Ribble Valley
[/quote]

I used to live in the Ribble Valley in Whalley. Daughter still does, in nearby Barrow. Lovely part of the world.

maz

Post by maz » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Mike, there are some beautiful areas in Lancashire but people can only think of Coronation Street and dark mills. One of our sons lived in Chorley and closer to Wigan before that. It is always so beautiful driving over there.

Myself, I was born Halifax but lived in Hebden Bridge till I was 18. Didn't like it much back then, it always felt dark and dreary. But now it is quite a tourist place. No family left there now ,and we took our last trip round our old haunts almost 2 years ago, when we took my sister on a trip out not long before she died from pancreatic cancer. It was strange seeing our old street, where we used to play out under the washing lines hung over the road, and see what it is like now. Our tall terrace house is now flats, even the cellar where our mum used to do the washing. I am reminiscing too much!
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Oh I agree Marilyn! I lived in Halifax for several years (both kids were born there) and it really is a beautiful part of the country.

When the kids were little there was never 'nothing' to do because about 3 minutes walk from where we lived we were in the middle of the country with streams and a deer park and cows and just great stuff for little kids to do.

We used to walk for miles! And as you know with small kids, that is a great way to tire them out and we used to take our fishing nets and catch tiddlers (sorry I am in hysterics here - I typed 'tiddlers' and my ipad changed it to 'toddlers' :lol: :lol: :lol: - no we didn't catch toddlers -that is inappropriate :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:).

But without doubt Whitby is one of my favourite ever places in the world. We used to go camping there when I was a kid every Whit week and I have such fond memories.

Mind the headland has disappeared alarmingly over the years. Houses that were 200 metres from the cliff are now on the cliff edge - and that is in just 50 years! Very frightening!

hugs

Jane xx

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:23 am

I could live in York, love the place, great to visit Whitby too, was back again this year and were fortunate to get good weather.....Im only about £5 million short of my " move to York fund "...so there is hope 🍾🍾👍👍😂

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:27 am

You could always become a Spam/VIRUS student Bob!

Hugs

Jane 😘

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:28 am

:shock: I typed m a t u r e without the spaces) and got a Spam/virus change? Stuart! :twisted: :twisted:

Jane 😘

Post by 26.12.11 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:46 pm

Both Dave and I love York. The only thing that stopped us moving there is lack of family
Sharon

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:56 am

Start a new one in York 😁

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

refandy

Post by refandy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Love York - my youngest is at Uni there at the moment so we've lots of excuses to visit. Haven't been to Whitby and Robin's Hood bay for years but it's on my list. Currently reminding myself of the beauty of Northumberland whenever I get the chance. That said, I'm off to Dorset and the Jurassic coast for a weekend break in a couple of weeks. Can I just remind everyone of my home town and county of Durham - didn't realise how good it is till I moved away and saw it through a visitors eyes.