Life as a GP Practice Manager

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Janey Dal

Re: Life as a GP Practice Manager

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:12 am

Above or below Stuart? :P :P xx

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:24 pm

Okay so here I am on day one of my two day’s annual leave.

I got a phone call this morning at 10 am (yes I was up, mainly because I’d forgotten to switch my alarm off :oops: :oops: ).

A crisis at work! :roll: :roll: .

The CCG have changed the goalposts AGAIN on the closing practice solution and have asked if any one of the 3 practices who had agreed to share the patients can take on the whole remaining list :twisted: :twisted: .

This is all to do with medical insurance because in our increasingly litigious society GPs can be sued for anything at all and regularly are. So if a patient falls through the cracks whilst in transition from one practice to another, who is responsible? You really could not make this up!

So as the practice is closing on Tuesday, here we are at the 11th hour plus 59 minutes with the suggestion that the practice who wanted to take on the whole list in the first place and were refused 3 months ago, will now take on the whole list.

Meanwhile I have lost a week of my life in organising to take on the extra patients with all the administration that will create and at the moment, we still haven’t got a definitive answer. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The lunatics are running the asylum!

I can’t even get cross anymore, there is no point. It takes too much energy and won’t make the slightest bit of difference. So I shrug my shoulders and carry on.

Mind the cardigan I am knitting is coming on leaps and bounds with my currently furious knitting speeds :lol: :lol: .

Onwards and sideways!

Hugs

Jane 😘

Colin 31

Post by Colin 31 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:29 pm

Having seen the Minister for Health over the last few years Janey, I must say it’s not surprising.

I’m terribly sorry that good people like you have to deal with this type of incompetence.

Best Wishes

Colin

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:07 pm

Indeed Colin - he’s an eejit! However, it’s the’good’ people who keep the NHS running. I just want to reassure you guys that GP practices do really care about patients and do their best despite NHS England putting barriers in the way. The current model for health care is a mess, but at least GP practices are private businesses so are able to have some autonomy on their internal decisions. If GP practices had to follow the lead of corporate NHS I genuinely think the system would grind to a halt.

And as a rider to all this - the status quo on the closing practice has now been restored and we are back at the three way split :roll: :roll: :roll: .

Is there any wonder I’m grey?

So back at work tomorrow (having felt like I really haven’t had two days off at all) and hurtling round organising the administration for 400+ new patients, working on the snagging list for the new telephone system with the suppliers, having a meeting with the Cancer collaborative (lunch time - lunch time? What is that again? :lol: ) and anything else that turns up.

Bored at work? Never! :D :D

Hugs

Jane 😘

Colin 31

Post by Colin 31 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:49 pm

Two of our main hospitals have combined recently and as part of this new joint venture thing as A and E have gone to the other side of our County. Any emergency from the west will take an extra 30 mins. My wife had to go for a blood test three weeks ago , our local hospital blood department was closed for redecorating, so our choice was phone the local Boots pharmacy. We did and a waiting list of six weeks was the earliest appointment . We went to the other hospital for a turn up and wait your turn . An hour and three quarters later she was called in. A week ago I required a blood test. I went to the wait for hospital as I was given a two months wait for an appointment. My wait was an hour and seven minutes. Cost of two hours parking £2:00 .
Sadly my new GP practice doesn’t carry out this service. Not a problem, but I’ll find out why.
Our local MP has not tried to alleviate our concerns regarding all of his constituents on any part of this new venture 😄. His track record of supporting us has now been highlighted. Not too good reading .
The MP is now roumered, that he is going to be Knighted .....
As you can guess the locals are a tad unhappy .

Maybe your comments that the inmates should take over the running of the mad house.

I’m sure that we could mak a better fist of this whole situation, obviously we would be working with the real people inside the NHS.

Bye for now

Colin

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:21 pm

That is an appalling situation Colin!

If it will help at all in your enquiries, several practices in our local area host a phlebotomy service (taking blood samples) within the surgery. The phlebotomists are employed by the local hospital but use a room at the GP practices as a service to patients.

We host a phlebotomy service at our practice. It is a large practice so we have plenty of room and we don’t charge the hospital for the room because it is beneficial to our GPs requesting blood tests and the patients. So it is doable at your local surgery.

As for hospitals merging. This has happened here recently and is causing much local anguish with very good reason. Some patients now have to travel twice as far for A&E. All very well if you have a car, but if you don’t then what do you do? You call an ambulance!

So more unnecessary cost to the NHS.

The eejits in charge simply number crunch with no knowledge of the bigger picture. They save money on one service only to create extra financial burden on others.

And my week this week? Well having had 2 days off on annual leave, I wished I hadn’t bothered because I did 5 days work in 3!

Hugs

Jane 😘

Colin 31

Post by Colin 31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Thank you Janet , I will speak to my GP on my next visit.

Days off are really needed and you always may the most of them , but then we go back to the grindstone ! 😩.

Enjoy the weekend Janey .

Take care

Colin

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks Colin.

This week at work the staff have had a new uniform provided which includes a fleece to stop them wearing odd cardigans when it’s cold.

I held a competition for a logo for the front of the fleece and we had great fun with that. The winner was a stylised roof with two adults holding hands with a child in the middle.

We sent the fleeces away to get the logo embroidered and it looked very nice indeed. On most of the fleeces. One of the nurses realised that her child only had one leg and then several people realised the same :lol: :lol: .

Now the question is do we keep the faulty fleeces and claim it as an indication of our diversity in treating every one equally or do we go through the inconvenience of returning them? :lol: :lol: .

Decisions, decisions! :lol: :lol:

Hugs

Jane 😘

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:16 pm

You’d better check the submitted design. Someone may have forgotten to add the other leg, in which case you have no comeback on the company. Odds on that’s what the company will say. It’s like the cake makers who studiously apply “put this in big letters” to the icing. What the shrinks call concrete thinking.

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm

If your going to use it to show diversity then you will have to show all ethnic variations and then gay / lesbian better redesign motif to a picture of a cradle and a coffin and underneath put " To help you on your way ."
Paul

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Doesn't Jane's surgery look after one-legged children then?

:wink:

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:06 pm

We’ll have to now - it’s on our logo! :lol: :lol:

Nothing exciting happened this week - just a manic heap of work! I am in the process of trying to rid the surgery of a new member of staff who has recently been recruited and is turning into a nightmare. We have a 6 month probationary period but she has mental health issues so we have to be careful. I hasten to add it is not the mental health issues that are causing the problem but there is the possibility she could claim that they are! The Disability Discrimination Act has a lot to answer for.

Just as I was getting close to being able to get rid of her she was admitted to hospital and required minor surgery which will keep her off for about 6 weeks. She has had 3 periods of sickness in her first 3 months but this one (the 4th) we can’t argue with and we certainly can’t get rid of her whilst she is on genuine sick leave :twisted: :twisted: .

I used to love the whole recruitment process including interviewing but this last few weeks I have recruited a new salaried GP, 2 Health Care Assistants and 2 new admin staff and I am about interviewed out! It is so time consuming and such a lottery on the person you recruit.

The corporate NHS no longer applies probationary periods which I think is a mistake. But it certainly explains some of the eejits who get appointed. Once they are in post they are there for the duration no matter how bad they are!

I attended the local Practice Managers’ meeting on Wednesday which made me feel better. We were all complaining about the same things and at least I know I am not alone in some of the more frustrating aspects of working with NHS England who honestly haven’t a clue on real life.

Hugs

Jane 😘

maz

Post by maz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 am

Jane, you are a saint.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm

:lol: :lol: thanks Marilyn.

Sometimes I think I must be :roll: :roll: ! Although I did sound off at the PMs’ meeting about difficult staff.

I discussed one lady who started with us, had to have a reinforced chair purchased for her because she had a bad back and then left after 3 months. I did refer to her as a ‘fat knacker’ which probably flies in the face of your saint comment :lol: :lol: .

But I suppose even saints have off days don’t they? :shock: :shock: .

Hugs

Jane 😘

maz

Post by maz » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Marilyn