Life as a GP Practice Manager

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Janey Dal

Life as a GP Practice Manager

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:42 pm

I've got to do this!

I have never in my life had a more manic position. It is amazing!

On Friday I went into work with a list of 4 things that I had to do. I managed 1 of them :oops: :oops: .

I had a meeting with the local MP (who is our own GP) about his commitments.
Domestic staff crying because one of them has been diagnosed with cancer (dreadfully sad).
Reassessing someone's holiday entitlement that was wrong.
Dealing with the legalities of an ex-staff member who only managed 2 days with us before leaving and now wants paying for it.
A complaint from a patient who was initially diagnosed correctly by one GP, came back and saw another GP who misdiagnosed her and now wants to change GPs to the one who got it wrong :shock: .
A patient complaining because his mother developed 'numonya' and thinks it's our fault.
NHS England asking for information that they have already had but seem to have 'mislaid'
Trying to mediate between staff members who are getting quite defensive over the design of their new uniform.
Buying some film for a waiting room window because the waiting room gets too hot.
Meeting someone from the Commissioning Support Group about our IT initiatives.
Speaking to the Local Medical Council about the obligation for GPs to visit nursing home patients who aren't ill.
Getting extremely annoyed with the 111 service who are utterly and completely useless.

And this is not an unusual day.

And do you know what? I absolutely LOVE it!

Hugs

Jane xx

stuart13

Re: Life as a GP Practice Manager

Post by stuart13 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:36 pm

Oh no!!

I feel another blog coming.

:roll: :wink:

maz

Post by maz » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Stu.

Glad you are enjoying it so much Jane.
Marilyn

unclemorris67

Post by unclemorris67 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 pm

I would like a new blog. It means I could go to my GP when the practice does something wrong and say at Jane's practice they do this, this and this, why aren't you doing the same.
To be fair I might make things up but still say that Jane's practice does it
Sharon

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Do it Sharon :lol: :lol: :lol:

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:09 pm

unclemorris67 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 pm
I would like a new blog. It means I could go to my GP when the practice does something wrong and say at Jane's practice they do this, this and this, why aren't you doing the same.
To be fair I might make things up but still say that Jane's practice does it
Brilliant idea. :) :)

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:09 am

But what did you do after morning coffee break Jane
Paul

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:50 am

Coffee break? What's one of those? :lol: :lol:

This week I had to remove two patients from the upstairs waiting room because they were fast asleep and snoring due to overindulgence in alcohol at 10.30 am :shock: :shock: .

One was fast asleep sitting on the chair with his head between his legs, the other one leaning back in the chair with his hands behind his head :lol: :lol: . I woke them up and they left very calmly (one complaining that he wasn't sure he would make it down the stairs) and very politely thanked me as they left :lol: :lol: .

We had a letter from a patient who was cross because people in her street were criticising her husband for being married previously. Nobody was quite sure how the GP was going to cure this particular ailment so the letter was filed unanswered :roll: :roll: .

We had another letter from a patient who wants to change her usual GP to one that has left :shock: . The GP who left is working across the town at another local practice and the patient is a pain so I politely advised her which practice the GP she preferred had gone to in the hope the patient follows her :lol: :lol: .

We had another patient who walked into the surgery and told that doctor that she had broken her leg. The doctor said she clearly hadn't but the patient wasn't satisfied and walked out in a temper. :lol: :lol:

We have had to do further training with our apprentice who is the nicest lad on the earth but is utterly useless. The training consisted of showing him how to fold letters so the patient's address was in the window of the envelope, NOT the practice address which was how he had done it prior to the training :shock: :shock: :roll: . Imagine my delight if we hadn't caught the error in time and paid for 170 letters to be posted back to ourselves :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: .

We received a letter from the local hospital which stated on page 1 that the patient had died and on page 2 'patient discharged home medically stable' :shock: :shock: . Whilst technically if she was dead she was about as medically stable as it is possible to be this was obviously not an ideal situation. However this is not just about getting cross with the hospital but an incident report had to be completed so some little data person somewhere in the bowels of the NHS can produce some vitally important statistics for nobody at all to read. :roll: :roll:

I had to complete a data return for NHS England about how many staff and GPs we have at the practice. This has to be done on a quarterly basis and requires loads of data on hours, staff type, ethnicity etc. This is so that they can look at the information and say 'oooh there aren't enough doctors' - a fact that the average man in the street could tell them without torturing practice managers.

I drove home on Friday thinking how hungry I was and realised my lunch was still in the fridge at work :shock: :shock: .

As I said: "coffee breaks?" What are they? :shock: :shock:

Hugs

Jane xx

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Plenty of variety in the job then, Jane.

There could be a book deal in this.

:wink: :)

maz

Post by maz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 pm

All in a normal day's work Jane!
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:10 pm

You must have seen some of this as a nurse Marilyn? I actually want to ask some of these people who got them up and got them dressed that morning because they evidently haven't the mental capacity to do it themselves :lol: :lol: .

But it does cause much hilarity.

Hugs

Jane xx

maz

Post by maz » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:55 pm

It can be a challenge jane, just keep smiling!
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Last month we were presented with a new IT system to help practice managers claim for activity related funding.

It doesn't work :roll: :roll: . In fairness I knew it wouldn't because NHS IT systems never do. They tend to roll out a beta version and then wait for the poor long-suffering managers to tell them where it needs improvements.

Previously the activity numbers were input into one system for statistical purposes and this then also triggered the associated funding.

Now we have to input data into the statistical system and also into the payment system, thereby creating twice the work for the same end. This is apparently an improvement :roll: :roll: .

I had entered data into it last month and selected "Save" but apparently this triggered the closure of the system until the following month and no further data could be entered. When I asked how to amend this I was advised that I had to submit an amendment form. I submitted the amendment form and heard no more. So I rang and queried this.

I was advised that 'nobody monitors that email address" :shock: :shock:

When I rang the person responsible for the new system and advised her that it was utterly useless her response was "well it may need a few improvements". :lol: :lol:

No shit Sherlock :lol: :lol:

Hugs

Jane xx

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if we could spend some of that money on patients.

:)

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Try switching it off at the plug, wait for a few minutes and switch it on again. If the system is so dumb, that should fix it. :roll: