Lovely warm weather

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
unclemorris67

Lovely warm weather

Post by unclemorris67 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Being Scottish, warm weather is between 14°and 19°c anything above that is scorchio.
So having a week of 24° to 31° is torture.
Add in doing my 10,000 steps a day in June, I'm sweating like a p i g at a barbecue.
I'm coping by having 4 cool showers a day, all the windows opened, curtains closed (where there is curtains, always thought they were just another thing to keep clean, so only in bedrooms).
I have been doing some of my steps in the supermarket as they are usually cool.
Getting up at too early oclock to walk dogs before sun comes up and last walk at dusk, it was 27° at 9pm yesterday.
My hair has gone Boris Johnson like.
My thoughts every time I go out is, this is cool for Sassy, and no offence Sassy but if you ever invited me over to yours I would have to decline as this is just too hot. Roll on the wind and rain :o
Sharon

maz

Re: Lovely warm weather

Post by maz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 pm

I empathise Sharon. I can't believe I used to love hot weather and actually sunbathe. Talking 20 years ago there. Now 20 deg is perfect.

Well done on keeping up with the challenge thing. Mall walking is a good way to get steps in whilst enjoying aircon. Do you have any malls close by?
Marilyn

unclemorris67

Post by unclemorris67 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:35 pm

There is 2 plus a big tesco, I did one mall, parked on top floor of multi storey carpark walked down then back up 5 floors, plus 2 floors in m&s and TKmax and it didn't register on my pedometer as 14 floors, well miffed by that.
I feel mentaly great for doing it, my body isn't so happy, so I just top up pain meds. I'm going to keep up the walking, maybe just 5 days a week. I also bought a mini trampoline and wobble board.
Having a half decent pair of walking shoes has helped but have to change socks evertime I go out. It is usually 2 walking trips, though 3 if I go to mall or supermarket.
I have thought about sticking an ice pack under my cap but knowing me it probably give me a head ache.
Sharon

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:57 pm

No offense taken. I don't like to let it get warmer than 72 degrees in the house. My a/c unit has been malfunctioning, and there have been some very ugly phone calls with the Home Warranty company when the temperature in the house starts getting out of hand. It's been 94 degrees in the shade most days without a breeze.

July-September are the hottest months of the year, and I fully expect temps over 100 degrees by 10am daily. During these months, people can literally bake cookies in their cars when parked, and eggs will cook on the sidewalks if broken.

Stay hydrated Sharon, at your temps heat stroke is a real possibility!
~Sassy

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:09 am

I hate the summer . Much happier between 2--10 c .so hot yesterday did an hours work then went to seaside where it was cooler at least there were some lovely ladies in bikini's far more appealing than the Norfolk coastline , then went and did something stupid ( must have been the heat) brought a new van without air con now got to work all hours to make up for money spent . :x
Paul

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:49 am

The moral being ................... don't go to the beach to watch ladies in bikinis and it you won't make you do something stupid.

:wink: :wink:

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Well not going to watch the men in their budgie smugglers
Paul

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:24 pm

I don't like hot weather, it plays havoc with the diabetes control. I think it's to do with the faster absorption of insulin from hot sweaty bits of body. Mind you, since using the Libre monitoring system that's less of a problem, but care is still heeded. Any other insulin addicts find the same?

Mike

unclemorris67

Post by unclemorris67 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:13 pm

The insulin factor is a problem, I usually spend 20 minutes after taking insulin fanning myself and drinking plenty of water.
Temgesic is the same, try not to take them at same time.

I'm going to make my self a cotton towelling dress with inner pockets to hold ice packs, im thinking, a long one down centre at back, ending at butt, where there will be 2 pockets. A pocket under each arm. Then some pockets at under boobage area. Add this dress to my ice cap.
Do you think I should do a pitch on Dragons Den
Sharon

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:42 pm

You'll have to post a picture, Sharon, then we will be able to give you a better idea.

:)

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:49 pm

I want some of these to try out, but can't really afford the pleasure.

http://women.duluthtrading.com/store/wo ... or=content
~Sassy

Foxysally

Post by Foxysally » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:09 am

I was teaching piano this afternoon and honestly, it was a pointless exercise as all my pupils just drooped in the heat. One of my teenage pupils (they don't spare my feelings!) kept picking up the piano book to fan herself with. :lol: I mused over with her as to why I wasn't in possession of a fan. We decided it was because we get one week a year like this if we're lucky, everyone rushes out to by fans and so they are sold out everywhere. By the time they come back into the shops we are all in jumpers again and have conveniently forgotten what hot weather is like!

But this week I could definitely use an ice pack dress or one of those cooling tops!
Sarah

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:08 am

They also make cooling underwear. :lol:

No fan?!? I guess I understand because I don't own Winter clothes or snow supplies.

I hope it cools back down to normal temperatures for everyone soon!!
~Sassy

Bob1955

Post by Bob1955 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:19 am

Yes mike, I have to watch my blood glucose more, tho my new insulin has not really been tested in such heat yet, I was at the CF clinic today coz I got a stormer of a chest infection...this heat totally saps my strength when even a bit off colour...anyway, I got a silver star for doing great with my diabetic control, but no matter how hard i tried I could not get a gold update :(

The winter wax always my bad time, but now it has reversed and summer brings hayfever and breathlessness.still like to see the sun tho, it is a wee pick me up :)

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:08 am

Next door neighbour he is Portugese and she is from south Africa ,brother and his Australian wife are all moaning about the heat so what hope have we mere mortals from damp old England . If it gets any hotter even I might reconsider my views on global warming :(
Paul