Over stretched NHS

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Janey Dal

Re: Over stretched NHS

Post by Janey Dal » Sun May 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Let me know which acronyms you know Stuart and we can swap.

The NHS survives on acronyms to keep us all confused.

Hugs

Jane xx

paul.m

Post by paul.m » Mon May 08, 2017 6:22 am

Had a customer last week moaning about Drs cutting amount of items on her prescription .
"Cut my 2 boxes of laxatives to 1 box " but it was next bit that made me see red "they have changed my E45 cream and cream that I rub on my legs ( she told me the name but have forgotten its same thing as Ibrulieve )for a cheaper brand and if I don't like it to buy my own " In my opinion she should be buying her own as they are as cheap as chips .The laxative Would let her have as don't know the strength so may not get over the counter ,although it seems to work on her mouth cannot shut her up .
Paul

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Mon May 08, 2017 9:01 am

:roll: :roll:

It is unfortunately there is a mindset that says "If it's more expensive, then it must be better".

"I've paid my taxes so I'm entitled".

The same one that says "I'm poor so I have to eat take-away food because it's cheaper".

We have to educate people better and that education is needed across all levels of society.

:)

maz

Post by maz » Mon May 08, 2017 9:28 am

Paul, at least that is one GP practice that is trying to cut down. I think it is going to be a bit of a battle at some places. They need to send all the disgruntled patients to see the Practice Manager to complain to and be dealt with :wink:
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Mon May 08, 2017 12:39 pm

I quite enjoy getting the prescription every month just to see what colour of box or tablet will appear. They all work just the same. Or don't, depending on your point of view. My Omeprazole came in the same colour box with different colour capsules, that's a new one on me. It's all part of the fun :D

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:10 pm

It's amazing the wings that can excite us. :wink:

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat May 13, 2017 12:24 pm

Marilyn! NO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's absolutely right that the patients need training. Sadly many are untrainable! We have had a mixed response to the 'Grey list' drugs (the ones like paracetamol which can be bought over the counter for next to nowt). Some patients kick off, some agree it's a great idea.

Nonetheless my practice is sticking to it and awaiting the fight around hay fever medication in the next few weeks. The problem is that whilst my practice's GPs have embraced the Grey list, some practices are refusing to adopt it.

I reiterate that if a patient is on eg: long term paracetamol for a chronic condition then they will get it on prescription. But for self-limiting short-term conditions patients are expected to buy their own. Where's the problem?

It's so frustrating! If the Grey list isn't adopted it will become a 'Black list'. But sadly some GPs aren't prepared to be honest with the patient and prefer to just prescribe whatever is asked for.

Interestingly whilst I get complaints from patients about the slightest irritation, nobody has complained about the Grey list.

It just goes to show!

hugs

Jane xx

ps There was meant to be a national campaign about the Grey list but because we are approaching an election the NHS is in what they call 'purdah' and are not allowed to publish anything that may have any political connotations so the campaign is on hold :roll: :roll: . You couldn't write it!

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun May 21, 2017 12:42 pm

And at the risk of blowing a gasket - I have to say that if ONE MORE POLITICIAN says they are going to give more money to the NHS I'll burst :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: .

The NHS doesn't need more money it needs fewer managers who manage other managers who manage nowt :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

Many of the hospital Chief Execs earn more than the Prime Minister! Secondary care simply haemorrhages money and nobody is doing anything about it. It makes me so angry!

We have a constant battle in my surgery with the 2 local hospitals who see a patient, decide they need an onward referral within the same hospital and then write to the GP to ask the GP to do the referral. I then write to the hospital to say that under the contract they have to refer onwards without going back to the GP. What a waste of time!

The NHS contract says that for onward referrals for non-urgent, related conditions the Consultant should refer straight to the other department. This was brought in to stop hospitals from referring back to the GP because they earned extra money from each GP referral. Who cares that the patient has to wait longer if they do this?

In corporate NHS-land don't ever think that patients are important!

Grumble grumble, ranttity rant :D :lol:

Hugs

Jane xx

maz

Post by maz » Sun May 21, 2017 2:19 pm

John and I are so with you here Jayne. Not one political party had mentioned the NHS management and all the money loss that goes with them. No good throwing extra money at the NHS just to pay for even more managers who can't manage to manage anything. Losing the will with these manifestos and the election and politics in general. Nobody for us to vote for as yet.
Marilyn

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:01 pm

Vote Liberal and go potty on grass.

maz

Post by maz » Sun May 21, 2017 5:04 pm

:shock:
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Sun May 21, 2017 11:09 pm

I'll smoke to that Stu. There isn't a problem on the planet that couldn't be solved by everyone smoking dope. :wink:

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:24 pm

Surgeons, pilots, drivers, machine operators, etc, etc, etc.

Reduce the population.

That's the way to go.

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat May 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Maybe the NHS should start giving out free cannabis? The world would still go to s*** but nobody would care man! :lol: :lol:

And I would agree with you Marilyn. I don't believe in any party at all at the moment - they are all promising the usual stuff and will end up not delivering any of it anyway!

I have decided which way to vote, simply because one of my GPs is standing as a candidate in my constituency. I can't vote for any of the parties, but I think he would make an excellent MP, so I am voting 'locally'. Sadly predictions are that he won't get in. Our incumbent MP should be shot in my opinion, and I am just the girl to do it!

Interestingly my GP is a Labour candidate (I've never voted Labour in my life, but hey! I live life on the edge!) but Jeremy Corbyn is visiting Stockton next week and the GP is avoiding him because he doesn't want to be associated with him.

Marvellous isn't it? Corbyn's own potential MPs don't agree with him :roll: :roll: .

Alan is not voting for Theresa May 'because she's ugly". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well we all need something to help us decide :lol: :lol: .

And just to make you despair further regarding politicians: according to my newspaper one of the ex-Euro MPs is standing as a independent in her constituency and has called for the death penalty for suicide bombers :roll: :roll: .

If I could I would put two crosses on the ballot paper and get a coalition government! Sadly we aren't allowed! :lol: :lol:

Hugs

Jane xx

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Sun May 28, 2017 1:33 am

Well, all the Tories say is about Brexit and Theresa Maze. Me, me, me. Nary a mention of the NHS. Labour are going up in the polls at an unprecedented rate. Why? It's not just that they talk about the NHS, reinstating bursaries for student nurses and ending austerity and the bedroom tax, and free hospital parking (stealing what the SNP have actually done, in other words). :roll:

No, it's because the Tories have antagonised and even demonised their core voters - the pensioners. No triple lock on the state pension. Losing your home, before or after death to pay for your care home. Mrs May was so confident of a huge majority that these heinous acts would go through easily. Never, ever, alienate pensioners. Even Labour aren't daft enough to do that. Apart from anything else, you also alienate all those voters who are waiting for Gran to die in her care home so they can cash in on her flat in Chelsea. Mad. :shock: