One of the problems of multiple pathologies...

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
MikeyB

One of the problems of multiple pathologies...

Post by MikeyB » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:02 pm

I had two hospital appointments this week. The first was Wednesday in Paisley to see the diabetic consultant in charge of insulin pump allocation. This went very well - he said I more than fulfilled the medical needs to qualify for one. Fine. This will happen in April if I still want one, because he changed my Lantus long acting insulin to Levemir, which lasts for a shorter time, and to split the dose Morning and evening, and if that fixes my nocturnal hypo problem, I may not need a pump, but he said I could have one if I didn't fancy 5 injections a day. Super.

My next appointment was in Oban this morning. My routine colonoscopy. Well, normally this is just in and out, see you in two years. But what was discovered was inflammatory changes throughout the ascending colon and the transverse colon, so the old friend Ulcerative Colitis has reared its ugly head again. I did have a slight suspicion, because when I was having the punishing Picolax prep, I did notice a few flecks of fresh blood. What a tedious bugger just before Christmas.

Now the bugger of having pancreatitis as well means I have taken the eye off the ball when it comes to bowel symptoms. Slight frequency, slightly pale, so up the Creon dose. Now when you get steatorhoea with a small amount of blood, as you can with a blockage of the common bile duct by tumour, you don't see red in the bowel motions, the greyish look turns a distinct silver colour, as rare as hens teeth, but much remembered as a clinical sign by generations of medical students. It's almost diagnostic of bike duct cancer. Anyway, I wasn't shitting Sterling, but I didn't think it could be UC

And that's the problem of monitoring your own symptoms. Before the colonoscopy my UC I reported cheerfully as quiescent. Now I've got a sheet of paper with a colon printed on it with little red dots all over it from where biopsies were taken. All I need now if for one of those biopsies to show early cancer, then it's goodbye colon. The odds are on simple inflammation.

Now, with a documented flare up of an old favourite ( and it is a favourite, because without it I had no chance of ill health retirement), I may be forced to take steroids.

That takes us back to the top - I'm starting a new insulin regime at time when I will be wildly messing up my blood glucose with steroids.

My body obviously thinks life is a bloody joke. Well, in a week or two I'll be back sneering at adversity, but just at this moment I'm only finding negatives.

Got a big new UltraHD 4K television, though, that'll cheer me up gazing at the tits and bums on Outlander in 4K. :D

stuart13

Re: One of the problems of multiple pathologies...

Post by stuart13 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:12 pm

Good news about the TV Mike.

Bum news about the other business but hopefully it won't be too serious.

Best wishes.

Stu :)

paul m

Post by paul m » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:23 pm

Hope all turns out well for you .

We upgraded to a 4k tv too now if there is any fuzzyness its you going blind :roll: :roll:
Paul

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:33 pm

Oh Mike,

I am so sorry. I know just how scary and demoralizing it is to get such news only to have to wait for possibly life changing news from biopsies.

I had active ulcerative colitis for over ten years. Through some luck, my body has not piled the ulcerative colitis onto my pancreas problems. It may be my daily steroids, but who knows when it will raise back up.

I am also aware of how crazy the steroids mess with blood sugar. I hope it doesn't go to the point you need the steroids. Is there any chance you can try other biologics??

I hope the gas has passed (no pun intended). I know I come out of those procedures puffed up like a balloon.
~Sassy

maz

Post by maz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Sorry to hear all your emerging issues Mike. Hope all turns out well.

By the time we get new TV, they will be Ultra HD 20K or something even posher by then. Enjoy yours Mike.
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:57 pm

Thanks for the good wishes, folks, that makes me feel better already. I may avoid steroids if the consultant is up for a trial of maximum dose Mesalazine.

And Sassy, today's colposcopy was weird . I've had quite a few in my time, and every time I've spent the rest of the day farting. Indeed, the recovery ward used to sound like a free jazz session of baritone sax players. But not today. Nothing. Zilch. Not a peep. Not a single secret fart in the howling wind on the deck of the ferry. I've no idea why that should be.

I'll tell you what, though. Lying on my left side is painful because of the rotting hip, so the guy cheerfully banged in 2mg Fentanyl i.v., before sticking in 30mg Midazolam. Thank you and goodnight :D

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Knowing boys as I do I bet you are actually gutted at your fartless recovery.

It doesn't seem to matter how old you lot get, you still find farts amusing :roll: :roll: .

However on a more serious note - have you thought about the new operation available on the NHS? It's called a total lower body removal or TLBR (the NHS as you know, just loves acronyms).

Obviously you would be without your legs and your er.... bits, but hey think of the advantages:

No socks or trousers or undercrackers needed (makes present buying difficult at Christmas but that's their problem)
No need to go to the toilet (think how much time and toilet paper that would save over a few years)
No shoes (including the cost of reheeling/resoling)
Your BMI will be just FAB (to the point where you could earn a living as a size zero model in the US)

Hugs and genuinely hope you are feeling a bit more cheerful.

Take care

Jane xx

shortie14

Post by shortie14 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Hi Mike - as somebody who had UC, then an ileostomy, then pancreatitis, then a whipple, you have my sympathies. I hope you were cheered up by the other posts - they certainly made me smile :lol: Lena

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:02 pm

I have indeed been cheered up, it's great to have pals who, like me, treat setbacks with a merry quip. I've already put in place legal proceedings against the hospital for not providing me with a proper fart filled afternoon. It's the first time NHS Scotland has let me down. Well, they must have let me down before I woke up, not leaving a trace of excess gas for me to enjoy. Chizz.

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:40 pm

Needed someone to blow up the Christmas balloons and you came in handy.

Shame you weren't awake to watch.

:wink:

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Aye, that'll be it Stu. I'll add thieving to the charge. :evil:

Mike

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm getting such a fabulous mental picture here :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hugs

Jane xx

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:13 am

Just getting back to the main topic (me) I think I can escape steroids. I've upped my Mesalazine from one tab twice a day, the maintenance dose, to two tabs three times a day. I do feel a bit better on that, so I suspect it is doing the job. I'm not getting a whole lot in the way of symptoms because there's just enough normal colon to do the work of reabsorbing fluid, but there's enough colon affected to make me feel unwell. I'd forgotten that aspect of UC, it's not just bowel symptoms.

So now, by the time I see the consultant again, I'll be one step ahead, maybe feeling OK, and he'll be less inclined to want to bung me on steroids. Interestingly, even when I had total Colitis, with the whole colon oozing blood and pus, when it all started, my consultant then was confident enough to just put me on high dose mesalazine with steroid foam enemas. (Too much detail, I know). He left oral steroids as plan B, and they weren't needed.

Don't do this sort of thing yourself with your own medication. I know what I'm doing, and Mesalazine is safe at any dose. Apart from making your kidneys leaky.

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:03 pm

Tut! Tut!

:wink:

Shining_Peace

Post by Shining_Peace » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:47 pm

I am terrified of my ulcerative colitis acting back up.

I think I still have some meds somewhere, but they are very old.

I would much rather have my pancreas problems than my bowel inflamed again. I remember laying in bed in utter agony. Curled in the fetal position wishing someone would put me out of my misery.

No hospital balloons for me.

My prayers will be with you.
~Sassy