Vaping- a quandary

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
MikeyB

Vaping- a quandary

Post by MikeyB » Sat May 07, 2016 9:39 am

I'm in an interesting quandary currently.

In addition to CP I have ulcerative colitis, which in my case is recurrent rather than constant. It is known that in folk with recurrent colitis, flare-ups are commoner in those who give up smoking. That happens in my case, and seems to be associated with nicotine. This doesn't happen in people who have never smoked- in other words, smoking does not help if you develop ulcerative colitis. Nobody is sure why this is the case, but it is a real phenomenon.

Now, the more often you have episodes of ulcerative colitis, the more likely you are to develop colonic cancer. ( I have biennial colonoscopies for this reason)

There is an association between smoking and worsening of CP, but I don't know whether this is caused by nicotine or all the other gubbins that comes in cigarette smoke, or whether it is simply a statistical association - people who smoke are more likely to drink, and so more likely to develop CP. or it might be a combination of the two.

So, do I continue to vape ( I use an electronic pipe) knowing that if I stop, my colitis could flare up, or stop vaping because it might be making my CP worse?

It is, if you'll pardon the language, a bit of a bugger. :(

Any suggestions would be welcome

stuart13

Re: Vaping- a quandary

Post by stuart13 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:33 am

Life should be about being sensible, reasonable, having respect for others and having self control. But I think there does come a point in our lives where we could all say 'what the hell!'. The question we will always ask ourselves is, bearing in mind the impact that it might have on others, at what point do we say it.

:)

PS Perhaps we should have a philosophical or meaningful thread. :wink: :wink:

stuart13

Re: Vaping- a quandary

Post by stuart13 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:38 am

As regards the serious aspect of smoking, it would appear that, although there is a connecting between it and pancreas disease, but the exact mechanism is, as yet unknown.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4491681/

:)