Life as a GP practice manager

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
maz

Re: Life as a GP practice manager

Post by maz » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:35 am

Our practice has NHS organising our booster jabs. We have had texts, emails and FB posts asking patients NOT to phone to ask when they will get their boosters. It was bad enough phoning the surgery prior to this, so it must have been a l o n g wait for your call to be answered after! I guess we will be waiting a while for our boosters being as it is the NHS organising them. However, our Flu jab is in 2 weeks and they are expecting a bit of flu also. Don't want both flu and Covid at the same time!

Yes, there are lots of colds and other viruses around, including Norovirus. Folk should get a Covid test if they do have a cold just in case though. Covid these days for the vaccinated is more like a severe cold. Cough and loss of smell and taste is further down the list. For some reason the government and NHS seem reluctant to publicise the newer symptoms, though apparently they are thinking about it after being pushed for a couple of months :roll: . Lots of other countries have updated. but ....? I think they want us all to catch Covid for the extra immunity. If we are all going to catch it eventually, I prefer to catch it after I have had my booster so it should be even less of an illness than maybe if I caught it now. At least that is my thinking :lol:

I hope you didn't get any side effects this time too Jane. We also didn't have any, other that my injection site hurt if I prodded it :lol:
Marilyn

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:36 am

Hope all goes well with daughter Friday but its one hell of a way to lose a bit of fat .
Looking forward to being stabbed in the arm better than laying in hospital bed about to shuffle off this earth thinking I wish I had a jab .
Flu jab booked so bring on winter

maz

Post by maz » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks for the reminder Paul, Jane has so much information I forgot the baby part :oops: , and that is so VERY important. Jayne, I echo Paul in wishing all the best for Friday to your daughter. I am sure you will be a little nervous, but then, very excited at the arrival of your new grandchild.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:47 pm

My daughter’s husband is just fabulous so I trust him implicitly to make sure she’s okay. To be honest I do my usual “Scarlett O’Hara’ mode which means I will worry about it tomorrow. It works for me :D .

I had no side effects from the booster apart from, like you Marilyn, a sore arm. Rather that than COVID.

I suspect the government are not advertising the lesser symptoms to try to encourage more people to be vaccinated. There is still the stupid anti-vaxxer brigade out there. We had a 58 year old patient die the other week from COVID. He was an anti-vaxxer. He left a wife and a 15 year old son. I wish I could ask him if it was worth it.

I just hope the government and private businesses start to refuse entry or admission to events or holidays or whatever to encourage the eejits to be vaccinated. I did say at the beginning of the pandemic that it was a shame it was killing old people and not eejits, but I suspect by default it is now killing more eejits! :lol: . When people died in the beginning it was tragic, but I’m afraid if people are dying after refusing the vaccine I have little sympathy.

We have had 8 staff off this week which out of a workforce (not including GPs) of 35 is pretty massive. Not all are COVID related but at least 3 are. The remaining staff have been absolutely marvellous! I am so bloody proud of them.

I am now able to arrange what is called a ‘Time In’ at the end of October. This is a 3 monthly event where practices are allowed to close for an afternoon for training and development purposes. It has been suspended during COVID but is now reinstated. I have planned (with the help of a brilliant colleague) to get the staff together in the big meeting room and have a team building event. The windows will be open, and everybody will have to wear masks.

The team building event? My colleague has a set of fake breasts and fake testicles with lumps in to train clinicians to find lumps. But we are doing this for the admin staff :D . There is obviously a learning part to this as in how to examine yourself or your partner and what to look for, but I am sure you can imagine the fun this will create :lol: . I am lobbying the GPs to be present although one male GP did say “But there will be a lot of cackling! :lol: “. And I said “yes there will!”.

I will organise pizzas for the girls and we will have a great time - VERY much deserved!

paul...m

Post by paul...m » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:35 pm

Sounds like a fun event can I join your practice .
Seriously maybe all practices should encourage all patients to try this exersise may save someones life .

maz

Post by maz » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:21 am

In America the pandemic is political of course. On one side of the divide there are 1000's of 1000's who won't be vaccinated. There had been a huge increase in cases and deaths, thankfully dropping now, with the majority being from that group. Some did say they wish they had been vaccinated, but apparently there are many more who still wouldn't, but of course they went to hospital for care and other medications :roll: ! Some unvaccinated who died were adamant to the end that they made the right decision. Fair enough, their choice, apart from them taking up beds for those who could have used them. Some hospitals were turning other patients away. It is all beyond my understanding, but I guess it is their body their choice.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:28 pm

I agree Marilyn, their body, their choice. But I also cannot understand the stupidity of refusing a vaccine when it can save your life. Sadly many people have little knowledge of people dying in the last century from measles, scarlet fever and polio (just to name a few fatal viruses) that are now more or less eradicated due to vaccine programmes.

I have to blame the government for not being more proactive in teaching eejits about the benefits of vaccine programmes. Mind to be fair at the moment I blame the government for most things :lol: .

Anyway, on a more amusing note we had a male patient in his 50s walk into the practice and ask if he could see a nurse. We aren’t a walk in centre obviously but despite the nurse appointments being full the receptionist asked if she could help. The nurses will always slot someone in if they can. The patient was wearing a beanie hat and lifted it up at the front which prompted his forehead to rise. “Well” he said “my mate has stuck my hat to my head with gorilla glue and I need some help.” :lol: :lol: :lol: She sent him to the local urgent care centre - there was nothing a GP or nurse could do.

With my dubious sense of humour I could only think that if they just shaved his head, his hair would still be stuck to the hat and he could put it back on and look perfectly normal. I’m not sure what his wife would have made of this arrangement though :lol: :lol: .

One of the strange side effects of the pandemic is that because we have fewer patients coming in, we have fewer mad stores like that. And they keep us all going!

And my daughter? What a typical NHS hospital fiasco! Having not responded to the induction hormones and keeping her in hospital for a week, they have decided she can go home and pop into the hospital for monitoring every day. So the whole thing about her being at risk because of a big baby has apparently been forgotten because? Because the labour wards are full :evil: . You couldn’t write it! She’s fine, if annoyed, but she’s at home and happy. Baby obviously isn’t ready to arrive yet. She’s only one day after her due date today so we’ve a bit of time for baby to make its mind up.

maz

Post by maz » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:45 am

I would have had a hard time trying not to laugh at that poor guy with his glued beanie if I had been the nurse. Friends can be truly mean. That particular friend doesn't really deserve to still be called a friend of the glued head guy. But the laugh was good :wink:

I fear one problem with the growth in anti vaxxers, courtesy of American politics(why do we always copy the Americans), will lead to a cut in the number of children getting their childhood vaccinations, and so a rise in some of the old illnesses. I doubt any kind of vaccination marketing would have changed the minds of the majority of these stubborn anti vaxxers. The amount of conspiracy theories that go on on social media, about absolutely everything, not just vaccines, is truly scary. Not the theories though some are very scary, rather the fact that people believe them ALL.

We had our flu vaccinations yesterday. Beautifully managed and very quiet too. It would have been nice to have had our Covid booster then too, but no, we have to wait to be told/asked to go to Knaresborough for that. Sigh... I did not mention it or grumble to the nurse about it by the way :wink: Just to John, and here :lol:
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:00 pm

Well you have to grumble somewhere Marilyn! The problem has been that the JVCI couldn’t make it’s mind up about whether vaccinating flu and COVID at the same time was a good idea. By the time they had made their minds up it was too late to organise dual vaccination because we had to go ahead with the flu programme.

Meanwhile practices are still getting battered by the press about seeing patients face to face. It is so disheartening when the good practices have done this all along. The government are now suggesting that GP practices don’t need to practice social distancing anymore :evil: . Surely one of the last places to stop social distancing should be GP practices?

People attend because they are unwell so therefore more vulnerable to catching a virus. As many people are asymptomatic there is no safe way to stop the spread other than observing strict social distancing. The GP practice national representatives (British Medical Association, National Medical Committee) are furious. But Sajid Javed is intent on pandering to the right wing press.

Of course then the patients are saying now that they ‘demand’ a face to face appointment. At my practice the doctors triage patients over the phone and if they cannot be safely diagnosed over the phone then they are given a face to face appointment - no argument. We practice safely even at the risk to the medical staff. I can only say to you that your GPs should now be offering face to face appointments for conditions that can’t be diagnosed over the phone (lumps, chest problems, ear problems and if you request one and it is a reasonable request), if they are not then change your practice.

I would be interested if anybody would feel safe visiting their practice if social distancing was stopped in their surgery? When the mandatory wearing of masks was stopped I posted on the practice FB page that we would still maintain mask wearing as mandatory in the surgery. I got more ‘likes’ than any other post I have put on there.

Sorry for another rant, but when you are exhausted from working harder than ever before for the last 18 months and you get told that you are being lazy then it’s hard to stomach.

I had a phone call last week from a patient who was not happy about the wait on the phone - who is? It’s awful but the demand has increased alarmingly (at my practice we consulted with 500 more patients last month than the same time 2 years ago - we don’t use stats from this time last year because they are are skewed due to the pandemic). All he wanted was to be able to ring his GP practice and get straight through :roll: . My goodness! Don’t we all?

maz

Post by maz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:22 am

For the past few weeks our GP practice has been putting our more PR than Megan Markle. Just lots of little pieces on Facebook about how you can see a GP face to face, reassuring everyone etc. I guess trying to counter all the bad press, though I think our practice has done quite well. Well I haven't heard actual criticism, though I am sure they have had some patients complain. Yes there was a problem with the wait time on the phone and I have issues with some things they brought in, e-consult being one, or didn't return, like online appointments, but I would think most patients are ok with things and it seems the GP's are quite well thought of.

I can see it must be disheartening though Jane especially when you have been excellent throughout. People love to make a lot of bother out of even minor issues these days, and the media just love to make the biggest mountain out of the molehills. We have stopped watching/reading the news, though I do catch some headlines on YouTube. Hopefully for the beleaguered GP practices the tide will change soon as hopefully life becomes more normal again. However the general public will continue to find things to bring to the attention of the media and bombard us with propaganda. Keep smiling Jane.
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:14 pm

Thanks Marilyn :D

We are contractually obliged to provide eConsults sadly. Some people like them, some people hate them but there are here to stay Im afraid. Still the more they are used the more people who don't like them can use the phone - that's the idea behind them.

And yes I suspect your practice is feeling as battered as the rest of us. The really annoying part of all this government and press bashing of GPs is that there is already a shortage of GPs. Who is going to opt to be a GP at the moment? All the med students will go into secondary care :twisted:.

And there information about how much a GP earns is not correct either. The £120K would be for a GP who works 5 days per week. I do not know one single GP who works those hours. It is too demanding these days. They all work part time. It's without doubt a very good salary even if part time but believe me - the good GPs earn it!

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:33 am

So on Friday which was absolutely manic anyway for everybody - we have 3 staff off on long term sick and only 4 doctors in out of 9, a lady came into the practice and said “there’s a woman laid on the floor outside”.

So off I went to find out what was going on. The woman was indeed laid on the floor besides the steps to the surgery, on her back fast asleep. Great! :roll: :roll: It transpired that she was an ex-patient of ours who had been kicked off the list for shooting up in the toilets :roll: :roll: . We tried to rouse her but she was out for the count. She was breathing okay but totally unresponsive otherwise. We rang 999 and one of our doctors came out to see if he could help before the paramedics turned up because it was cold outside.

We were struggling to work out how to keep her warm because believe it or not we are not allowed to keep blankets on the premises because of the risk of infection.

Anyway, as the doctor was talking to her, she suddenly sat up, advised that she had epilepsy (although we were pretty sure that wasn't what had caused her to be laid on the floor) and we said she could sit in the foyer until the ambulance turned up. She agreed but was somewhat confused and largely incoherent. She said she wanted to go to the loo so we let her into the patient toilet where I could hear her moaning and groaning from outside.

I shouted to see if she was okay and she said yes. The paramedics turned up 20 minutes later and she was still in the toilet. We opened the toilet from the outside (which is obviously a safety feature) and the poor paramedic got a mouthful of abuse. So he shut the door again and started to wait. I was chatting to them and they said they couldn’t forceably get her out because she was conscious.

After a further 20 minutes of waiting the woman opened the toilet door, peeped out and then legged it out of the surgery and off up the road. What a waste of resources! And what a dreadful way to live! Her life is obviously just chaotic but sadly she drags the emergency services into that chaos. I could only think of the number of calls that paramedic crew had missed because of this woman’s behaviour.

She is only in her early 40s so probably several years of creating havoc to come. Although by the look of her, not as many as her expectation at birth :( :( .

The sad part is also that we were not prepared to allow her fully on the premises, only in the foyer, because then we would have to take responsibility for her and if they are drug abusers you are opening a can of worms with that.

What a sad world it is at times.