Don’t ever get disabled

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
Anne Dawson

Re: Don’t ever get disabled

Post by Anne Dawson » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 am

Happy Birthday Mike!

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks for the birthday wishes. :D

Had a bit of a lie in, after my outing yesterday. Got up a bit late to go and collect my newspaper from the main entrance to the flats. Greeted Joe, a neighbour who had done a bit shopping, and wheeled into the lift.

Which is where we spent the next hour and a half stuck between floors. The alarm system didn’t work properly - the phone system kept hanging up. Some other neighbours had noticed our plight, and made some phone calls, eventually being told to ring the Fire Brigade. So, Fireman Sam and friends arrived, and managed to lever the door open, but the gap was too small and we were too high. Next plan was to jemmy open the motor cabinet, and hand wind the lift down, which worked. So while the firemen held the door open, I reversed out, straight into fresh air to have a slug of nicotine in a vape.

After that, of course, I was downstairs in a wheelchair with no working lift. So the kind firemen took my wheelchair upstairs, then carried me up two flights of stairs to be reunited with my trusty chariot. That was curiously humiliating.

Shortly after this experience, by a curious turn of fate, I got a phone call from Jane at the housing association for a survey on client satisfaction, which was positive until we got the lift, which is more often not working than working. She was very apologetic, but I did say that it was my first experience of being trapped in a lift. And added “I bet you’ve never been carried upstairs by two big firemen while wearing PJs and dressing gown”. I think she’s probably still laughing.

Anyway, as this thread is titled, don’t ever get disabled. It’s too fine a line between a peaceful existence and a truly shitty day.

paul 28

Post by paul 28 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:43 am

Could take up bungee jumping at least you could get your paper every morning :lol: . Not sure how you would get back up . :(

maz

Post by maz » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:16 am

I panic at the thought of being trapped in a lift :shock: . However, it could be worth it to be carried upstairs by some hunky firemen :wink:
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:11 am

It wasn’t worth being carried, it all had significant health effects. I hadn’t taken my morning long acting insulin. I woke with a BG of 7.2, by the time I got home it was 20.1. That is simply stress, I’d eaten and drunk nothing. It took two days to stabilise out, and I spent 36 hours falling asleep at random times, and only ate one meal in the 24 hours after.

That may be too much information, and not very funny, because living through it wasn’t. And if a lift breakdown were to occur while I was out, I would have to sleep in the communal sitting room.

Needless to say, the housing association will feel a tongue lashing not heard since I was a magistrate. I’ll keep you updated.

maz

Post by maz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:48 am

I'm sorry it had that long term affect on you. I certainly didn't mean to belittle your experience and I apologise for making light of a situation I would not want to be in myself.
Marilyn

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:23 am

Don’t worry, Marilyn, I was just being a bit grumpy. I’m back to normal now, and ready for the fight. So until I speak to the Housing Association, I’ll stay grumpy, but after that the experience will just be a tale to tell for laughs. :D

The lift still isn’t perfect. Went down to collect the paper this morning, got back in the lift and pressed the 1 button, and nothing happened. Pressed it again, the doors closed. Then I had to press it again to get it to move. Needless to say, I was worried that I would be stuck yet again. It’s no way to run a housing unit for over 55s, for sure. We’ve done and dusted the stress of working, this is supposed to be a nice relaxed safe environment to enjoy retirement.

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:18 pm

It gets worse. Went down to check something on the notice board, got into the lift and it didn’t move. Pressed the button a few times, and it moved about 6 inches then said it was going down. Which is where it stayed.

There was nobody else around. I went to the bottom of the stairs, and gripping the handrail and using the stick, I got home. It took 15 minutes, and boy, did it cost.

All this has been conveyed to the housing association, and raised to the level of formal complaint. I came here for an easy life, not imprisonment.

paul 28

Post by paul 28 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:34 am

You sure have some bad luck with the lift , I would be asking if it is so prone to breakdowns when was last time it had any maintenance or safety inspection .( Don't worry Mike they cannot just drop there is a fail safe braking system ) .
Maz they are not Firemen now but firepersons we have a woman in our local part time fire station . Wouldn't call her hunky more chunky .

If I was stuck in lift guarantee it wouldn't be long before I would need a wee so million dollar question is if in lift with mixed sexes and cannot wait any longer do I wet my trousers or say sorry can I use back of lift .

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:11 pm

Mike what a nightmare! That really is appalling and I absolutely agree you need to send them a really strong letter.

I also agree with Marilyn about the firemen though :oops: :oops: . I suspect they didn’t have the same effect on you sadly :roll: .

And it IS humiliating! That's the worst bit! I would feel exactly the same. There you are, an intelligent independent human being, having to be carried upstairs because the damned Housing Association can’t get their act in gear.

Fingers crossed for you my friend that things improve. I feel for you.

Hugs

Jane xx

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:38 pm

Just an update on the lift. It’s still not working, so I can’t get an an online grocery order. At least the milkman can make it up the stairs. It should, theoretically, be fixed tomorrow with a new part that’s been ordered.

This, of course, is fallacious thinking. Yes, a part failed, and needs replacing, but why did that component fail? Only time will tell.

I went to grandsons birthday party on Sunday. Getting downstairs is difficult, but made it, knowing full well that later in the day I had to the reverse. Had a good day, went out for lunch after the party for a bit of peace and quiet :roll:

Got back to the usual grind. Grip the handrail, place crutch on the step aimed for, pull on the handrail and push on the crutch, lift off on the better leg, and get to the next step. Repeat 25 times.

I slept most of yesterday while my body returned to what passes for normal.

Further discussions later with the HA... :evil:

paul 28

Post by paul 28 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:01 am

Have you tried what my daughter used to do when she was in first floor flat with a broken leg and a3 month old baby . Shuffle up step by step on bum . Would then send bill for new trousers to flat management for worn out trousers .Hope it gets sorted today .

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Concrete steps, Paul.

The lift still doesn’t work - they’re waiting for a part to arrive tomorrow. From Greece.

That explains everything- it only works in summer :lol:

paul 28

Post by paul 28 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:30 am

Wonder it works at all . Must have the hump over Brexit be a worry if you had a greek pacemaker .

Was concrete steps daughter had to go up with baby with broken big bone at top of leg and half of bones in foot crushed or broken .

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:39 am

A Greek lift? I worry! :shock: