Cooking meat

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
paul 28

Cooking meat

Post by paul 28 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:05 am

When I was young and lived with parents everyone we knew cooked meat till there were no pink bits and heaven forbid running red , now seems all the chiefs tell us meat should be eaten pink .
I thought the idesa of cooking it to remove pink killed off the parasites , so did a check on Mr Google , didnt know tape worms from beef and pork were differant .
Adult tapeworms and there eggs are less of a problem that there larve which can work there way through various organs and have been known to block bile and pancreatic ducts and we all know about blocked ducts .The recommended cooking is to cook to reach temps of at least 65 and juices run clear .

Just thought I would share this with you all enjoy your meals this evening :lol:

Anne Dawson

Re: Cooking meat

Post by Anne Dawson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 pm

Thanks Paul.
Like you I can never eat pink meat and my mum would never have served meat pink.
I did Biology at school and used to be fascinated by the life cycles of tapeworms and liver flukes.
I've always thought thorough cooking is important.

maz

Post by maz » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:17 am

Oh me too, I can not eat meat with any sign of pink in it. Then there are those who eat almost raw beef. Shudder :|

Not the same thing, but Suchi gives me shudders too.
Marilyn

paul 28

Post by paul 28 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:43 am

Years ago a friend of my mums owned a fish & chip shop prob the best in town at time so that was what we had most Saturday dinner times until the day I found a few worms in fish put me off .After a few weeks woman asked my mum why I had not been in so she told her about the worms .her answer " if he had told me he could have had another bit but a lot of fish have worms in them " That put me off for a long while so Sushi has no chance , and as for eels they love eating rotting meat and fish ask a fisherman .

maz

Post by maz » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:23 am

Some things are best not knowing about :lol:
Marilyn

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:12 pm

I agree Paul! Those cooks seem to think the more rare the meat the better, but just looking at it makes me feel ill.

I like my steaks medium rare mind! Never get them like that unless I go out for a meal though, Alan cooks everything VERY thoroughly :lol: :lol: .

Alan and my son once went fishing and brought home a load of trout. When they gutted them one had a cigarette butt in its stomach which put me off fish for ages!

And your comment on eels reminded me of my grandad Marilyn (not that my grandad was called Marilyn obviously!). He was a Skipper on a trawler and would never eat cod because he said they were scavengers and would eat anything, hence to this day I can only eat haddock when I have fish and chips!

Posh or what? :lol: :lol:

Hugs

Jane xx

MikeyB

Post by MikeyB » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:35 pm

I eat beef raw on occasion. Both as carpaccio, and steak tartare. Wouldn’t eat pork or lamb raw, except, in the case of pork it’s charcuterie. Parma ham is raw pork, it’s just meat that has been cured in salt, hung and dried for a year or so.

So we eat uncooked meat all the time, we just don’t notice. Most gut infections in this country come from raw vegetables, such as lettuce or rocket. In America most comes from chlorinated chicken.

heleng

Post by heleng » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:38 pm

hello, re worms and parasites in meat, in the olden days it was very important to cook pork due to possibility of worms and zoonostic diseases being passed over. However, modern pork production does not have this issue and is very closely monitored so there is no risk and you can eat raw pork and beef. My advice would be to buy from a local source especially in uk where labelling is deliberately misleading.

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:42 am

I can eat medium steak but cannot under any circumstances consider eating any other meat not cooked through. It's not even about the potential parasites it just looks awful!

We are not eating pork at the moment because Alan watched a programme on pigs and suddenly felt sorry for them :roll: . Doesn't bother me to be honest, I only really like chicken and beef. The rest I could happily live without.

I could never be a vegetarian but I am not bothered about large amounts of meat.

Hugs

Jane xx

heleng

Post by heleng » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 pm

As an ex pig farm manager, I can assure you in the uk , pork production is amazing, and I am happy to answer any concerns that your husband may have, pigs have an amazing food chain life compared to other things like poultry and fish.

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:26 am

Oooh Helen! I would love to have been a pig farmer! I absolutely LOVE pigs, especially the piglets! I would genuinely love a micro-pig as a pet if such a thing really existed!

Don't worry about Alan - he gets these ideas in his head and if it's something that bothers me I will challenge it, but as a person who is ambivalent about pork I can't be bothered!

Hugs

Jane xx

paul 28

Post by paul 28 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:28 am

We have just found a local farm shop the veggies have more taste than supermarkets and their pork doesn't shrink like most do and wife who hates beef will happily eat it now . Woman who runs shop says they started doing meat as she wanted to know what was in the meat and didn't trust suppliers . Would recommend anyone to at least try farm shops .

heleng

Post by heleng » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Farm shops are amazing places to get meat and veg, fresh veg have 60% more nutrients than ones from a supermarket plus no additives. Local meat is the way to go , in supermarkets they are allowed to label things to deliberately confuse consumers in to buying rubbish from foreign lands. Main reason why I voted out of eu.

As for baby pigs, yep never not fell in love with them, even after seeing millions being born. I could name all the boars on the farm and most of the sows, I loved the job, and it is an absolute pleasure to work with such intelligent animals. We used to have a particular old girl that opened the gate from the field and walked around to the farmhouse and look through the window. We used to give her an apple and send her back.

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:36 am

Aw! Pigs! :D :D :D

We have used farm shops in the past and were well impressed. I remember we got some pork and stilton sausages from one. Oh! they were to die for!

On second thoughts, the pig did :lol: :lol: :lol: .

When I say I love pigs i genuinely do. But equally if we didn't eat them then there wouldn't be any around. And as Alan says 'If they didn't want to be eaten they shouldn't taste so good!' :lol: :lol:

Hugs

Jane xx

paul..m

Post by paul..m » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:59 am

Well said Alan 😀
Paul