Life as a GP Practice Manager

Chat about anything you like... Fed up with the state of the world today? Tell us!
MikeyB

Re: Life as a GP Practice Manager

Post by MikeyB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Yup. Happens everywhere once in a while. It isn’t perfect - I didn’t say it was- I was talking in general. Many hospitals are just about coping. In this particular case, whatever was wrong with this lady, she was fit enough to go home the next day, so it would appear the triage system is working fairly accurately. For sure, the husband knows his way around pain relievers. Backstory?

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:40 pm

We have a new GP who has joined our practice from Scotland and an ex-GP who moved to Scotland several months ago. Neither paint a very rosy picture of NHS Scotland at primary care level.

Apparently the clinical systems are antiquated and the free prescriptions are causing further abuse in a system already abused even when the patients pay for it.

I cant comment on secondary care, but it can’t be worse than here.

I do now of course have a tame local MP! As you are probably aware our local MP is one of our ex-GPs and he is on the parliamentary select committee for health. He still does a few sessions for us to retain his licence and I saw him on Friday so I have already canvassed him regarding PCSE (Primary Care Support England) who are beyond appalling.

He is on to it. It’s not what you know but who you know as ever!

Hugs

Jane 😘

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:09 pm

I know you, Jane. :wink: :wink:

Janey Dal

Post by Janey Dal » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 pm

I’m not sure how much benefit that could be to you Stuart to be honest :lol: :lol: .

I have asked for a quote for some new door signs for the consulting rooms for the new pharmacist and our new GP.

The signage man asked what we wanted on the Braille for the signs :shock: :shock: . Yes there is Braille on the signs - I think I may be being a little cruel when I question why, as blind people don’t know the Braille is there so have probably never used it. However I digress....

My next question was of course - how the hell do I know what the Braille on the signs says?

One of my proactive members of staff went on Google and found the Braille alphabet. This was then, as an initial experiment, compared to the Braille on my door sign which apparently says PRACTACE MANAG. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

I’m not sure I am brave enough to now check what is on the GP’s door signs :lol: :lol: .

I’m starting to wonder if the person who organised the Braille signs had a strange sense of humour. I am obviously hoping that they are just Braille illiterate.

And more problems again this week with patients on Pregablin. One patient who has already been caught out getting 3 prescriptions in one week was put on weekly post-dated scripts to curb his abuse of the system. This prevents them getting the meds early - the pharmacist can only see the scripts on their system on the day they are due.

The patient managed to last 2 weeks before he found a gap in the system and he managed to get 2 scripts in one week.

So we have had to put more restrictions in place again :roll: :roll: .

The final restriction would have to be daily scripts which he would literally have to collect every day.

One of the problems is the sheer volume of prescriptions we process. The other problem is that we start from a position of trust which the abusers are fully aware of and have no conscience about exploiting. It’s a constant battle and sadly due to their drug-seeking behaviour they are usually a couple of steps ahead of us.

Hugs

Jane 😘

Foxysally

Post by Foxysally » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 am

I once decided to teach myself Braille (mad moment, no good reason). The only things I could find with Braille on were in the medicine cabinet. After half an hour of research and painstaking deciphering, I found out that the paracetamol box, which was absolutely covered in Braille, said.....Paracetamol. :roll:
I then discovered that Teach Yourself Braille books on Amazon were non-existent and extremely expensive. I gave up after that and borrowed a learn French CD from the library instead.

I'd check the Braille on the new signs if I were you. Who knows what debauchery they might be enticing blind people into otherwise?

The pregabalin issue makes it so difficult for everyone else. My repeat scripts are always very smooth running, but the gabapentin seems to get taken off at random intervals for no apparent reason. I have to then phone the surgery who have to get a doctor to reinstate it or, more usually, print off a script for the one month. I'm guessing it's why, when I was getting side effects on gabapentin and queried trying pregabalin with the GP, he wouldn't even really discuss it. I feel I need to come with some kind of disclaimer "I hereby guarantee I only need drugs because I'm in pain". I always assumed it's easy for them to tell who is genuine, but maybe not?
Sarah

stuart13

Post by stuart13 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:38 am

The only way any of your prescribed medications should fall off repeat is if your GP is only prescribing it for a limited period or you don't attend a medicines review.

I would take it up with the surgery manager.

Stu :)